Mouse conflict

Loren

This is my second attempt to get Retrospect to work. I'm running a trial version that I DLd tonight (1.29.02).

About 1/3 of the way through the backup the left mouse button and the enter key ceased functioning. Once the backup was complete and I exited Retrospect the problem disappeared. But for the duration of the backup I was unable to use the mouse or enter key. This made it difficult to exit the program at the end of the backup.

Here is what I am running:

Dell Latitude C600 with Synaptics Touchpad and Pointing Stick

PIII 650

40Gb IBM TravelStar drive

384Mb RAM

WinXp, fully service packed and patched

Dell branded Sony CD-RW (backup device)

Adaptec/Roxio EZ CD and Direct CD 5.x

ZoneAlarm

McAfee VirusScan Corporate 4.5.1 SP1

My first attempt was on a Dell Dimension PII 450, 512Mb RAM, WinMe, HP 8100 CD-RW.

With that machine the mouse would malfunction without Retrospect running and the only way to recover mouse function was to reboot. The problem went away when I removed Retrospect from the PC. I was never able to complete a backup on this machine: Retrospect would report a buffer underrun every time, even though it was only a 4x CD-RW. This machine has since gone away. I mention it just to show that the problem occurs across platforms and OS'.

I like the software, despite a somewhat overly-complex UI, but I can't have it fouling up my mouse.

Thoughts?

-Loren

I have used Retrospect for Windows under many different configurations and have never heard of mouse button failure when Retrospect is installed or during backup. If you pause the backup, does the mouse button come back? Have you tried removing the anti-virus software to see if it is causing a conflict? Are you using the default mouse setting or have you customized them? Is this a USB mouse or a standard PC mouse?

In the case of the desktop I had to reboot to regain mouse functionality. It would malfunction without running a backup, and the symptom went away as soon as I uninstalled Retrospect. Also on the desktop, now that I think about it, the pointer would skip all over the screen, like the ball in the mouse was dirty (it wasn't).

I've only once tried it on the laptop. I didn't want to pause the backup, it had been far too long. I'll try that next time.

The desktop PC had a MS Intellimouse on a PS/2 port.

The laptop had no mouse attached. It has both a Synaptics touchpad and pointing stick and associated drivers. Oddly, the pad still worked and the right mouse button was functional.

I haven't tried disabling the virus protection software. I'll try it next time, but that shouldn't be necessary.

-Loren

I'll give that a try. In the version I have there is no Special menu, though. I found it in:

Retrospect Express Directory (window)->Configure (tab)-> Preferences (button)-> Execution (item)-> Unattended (sub-item)-> Enable Retrospect Launcher Service (check box).

Retrospect Express Backup Express Trial 5.6.132

Thanks-

Loren

Archived