ERROR elem.c-822

The current build is 5.0.238 - see if an update resolves the issue:

Updates

If not, please list exactly when this error is occuring (what Retrospect is doing) and also while in Retrospect, go to Configure > Devices > Device Status and list Vendor, Product and Version for your drive.

I'm having this same issue, though my hardware and OS are different. I'm running Retrospect Server 5.0.238 on Mac OS X Server 10.2.3. Hardware is a Quicksilver Dual 1GHz G4 with 1GB RAM.

It has only occurred when the backup server is running, sometime after a completed backup. I'm not sure if immediately following a successful backup or before the next one, or sometime in between.

Again, Retrospect Server 5.0.238, Mac OS X Server 10.2.3. I have Retrospect Driver Update 3.1.105 (says the log) installed as well - is this necessary with 5.0.238?

Device information:

SCSI-A:2 Sony SDX-700C 0103 AIT-3 DC (5.01)

SCSI-A:5 Qualstar TLS-4212i 2.18 DLT Library (5.01)

When I remove the Driver Update, the (5.01) changes to (1.35). I'll let it run for now without the driver update and see if it recurs. It has shown up 4 times in about 2 weeks, so it'll take some time to determine if the driver update is to blame or not.

Is there any further information I can provide? Log snippets?

• 1 month later...

Was wondering what the status is of this. I am running OS 9.2.2 Retrospect 5.0.238 and driver update 3.4.103. Retrospect got this error last night so my backups did not run. On the screen was the message Trouble in Retrospect: Internal consistency check failed: Assertion check at ?elem.c-822? QUIT. In the log was:

! 3/13/2003 7:59:03 AM: System clock and tick timer appear inconsistent, code 2.

Dates, times and statistics may be incorrect.

Internal consistency check failed:

Assertion check at "elem.c-822"

There is nothing about this error on the support page and there does not seem to be any way to email support and the price to call for support is ridiculous, so I am hoping that someone here will be able to help. I want to be sure that my backup system is reliable.

Thank you for your time.

David

Have gotten this error twice in the last few days. Causes RS to lockup. It isn't listed in Dantz knowledgebase so does anyone have any idea what it is or how to prevent it?

Once the log noted a system clock discrepancy (exactly like JBBeaubeaux noted) just before throwing the error and the other time nothing unusual was noted.

System: Mac 9600 w/OS 9.1, RS server 5.0.238 (reinstalled, just in case), driver update 3.4.103 (recently updated-about the time the error started).

• 2 weeks later...

I am getting this error as well. It started shortly after we updated our version of Retrospect to resolve the documented elem.c-812 error. That problem got fixed but then the 822 errors started. We only see this error when our OS 9 v5 backup server is backing up a Windows client.

We have also started seeing odd behavior with Windows clients. The server started giving errors indicating that the backup set was going to exceed the 1000GB maximum even when it was only around 250GB. A closer look revealed that scans of Windows clients were reporting the size of remaining files as hugely inflated in size. Laptops with 20GB drives are being scanned and the number of remaining files is normal but the size is reported as wildly larger numbers like 800GB+. As a result the server thinks the files to be backed up will cause the backup set to exceed the 1000GB limit when in fact the number of files actually backed up is more like 50-200MB.

Reinstalling the latest Client software does not seem to resolve this.

None of this shows up in the log unless it generates an error, you have to be watching the status window for the active script to see the inflated file sizes.

-Geoff

The file size display issue is a known problem:

Finder.dat files under Windows When scanning a Windows client, Retrospect 5.0.236 and 5.0.238 may incorrectly report an amount of data to back up that far exceeds the total capacity of the volume scanned. This problem occurs when Retrospect encounters one or more "finder.dat" files on the Windows client volume. Finder.dat files are created when dual-fork Macintosh files are copied to a Windows volume through utilities such as Mac OS's File Exchange or Retrospect's Duplicate functionality. They are used to track the multiple parts of the Mac file while it's on the Windows volume. Dantz is working on a solution to this problem. In the meantime, deleting the finder.dat files from the Windows client volume will alleviate the problem, though the files they represent cannot later be returned to a Mac OS computer with their Mac-specific properties intact.

To be notified when this issue has been resolved, please sign up for the following newsletter:

http://list.dantz.com/mailman/listinfo/finder.dat

Additional information on finder.dat files can be found in the following Dantz Knowledgebase article:

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=kbase&ACTION=KBASE&id=26856

Thanks for the suggestion but we have already looked for finder.dat files on some of the affected clients without finding any. We do our file transfers across a Windows 2000 server so, in general, we don't expect to see finder.dat files on our clients.

My gut feeling is that these issues are related but we have no way to know that for sure.

-Geoff

Finder.dat files are hidden files. You must make sure you have the option set to 'show hidden files and folders'. The search must be done directly on the client machine. A Retrospect browser, for example, will not find these files on a client machine.

Quote:

Finder.dat files are hidden files. You must make sure you have the option set to 'show hidden files and folders'. The search must be done directly on the client machine. A Retrospect browser, for example, will not find these files on a client machine.

Yes, I know. I have been sending techs into the field to examine a selection of the affected clients directly.

Today we got an elem.c-817 error with a windows client for the first time ever. I'll have to see if I can repeat it with a subvolume per your post of January 6th.

-Geoff

• 2 weeks later...

uh, getting back to the elem.c-822 error, has any fixes happened? I had a server backup that was crashing with 822, 817 and other odd errors. Its running 10.2.5. Last week the finder got corrupted when it just bounces, and deleting the finder's cache and prefs didn't help. So I did a complete re-install, and it seems to be better now. I just thought I'd see if you guys know what is going on with the 822 errors.

thanks, Stimps

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Archived