Win2k Pro: Freezes w/Retrospect installed

pcresswell

Am I the only one?

Win 2000 Professional, dual Pentium 3's.

If I install Retrospect 6, eventually-but-intermittantly the system will freeze up. More so with Retrospect running, but I'm pretty sure I've caught it happening on a massive drag/drop copy (like 20 gigs...).

At first I thought the freeze during the copy would exonerate Retrospect, but twice I've uninstalled the product and had no freezes - for a week last time around. And every time I re-install and attempt a backup, it freezes. Sometimes it gets 20+ gigs into the backup before freezing, but it always freezes.

One opinion I've gotten is that Retrospect is "tripping over" something that's wrong with the sys. But if that's true, why isn't anything else tripping over it?

Also, I've reverted to using MS Backup and have had no problems so far.

Help...

Also, on a tangent: I'm writing this via the web interface to the message board, which only shows 10 threads at a time.... Isn't there some way to get around this so I can browse the existing threads withoug making a career out of it? I'm hoping to hear that the "subscribe/unsubscribe" notes on the web pages have something to do with a mailing list interface....

Pete Cresswell

Dantz@FatBelly.com

610-513-0066

What device are you backing up to? While in Retrospect, go to Configure > Devices > Environment and list Vendor, Product and Version for your drive. Hard drives will not be listed in this window - please note if you are using a hard drive as a destination.

Are you using the same device for MS Backup?

Are you doing a backup or a duplicate?

In reply to:

I'm writing this via the web interface to the message board, which only shows 10 threads at a time....

Go into your Forum Control Panel and change your display settings.

• 1 year later...

Ok I had a similar problem with the first install of retrospect. Basically when I would double click on my computer it would take indefinitely to open. Any application that would try to open a specific drive would hang.

The problem seems to have been resolved after an uninstall and a reinstall but I have a feeling that it will come back.

Right now I have another reoccurring problem where I cannot type in a web address in internet explorer and have it go to that page. Basically DNS lookup is taking forever. I am sure it is not an ISP problem because it only occurs when I install retrospect. I am able to go to other web pages if I do a search for the web page in a search engine first and then using the search results. Any ideas?

Thanks

Pete,

Your problem sounds like the same as the one I've got on my dual-Pentium PC (see my post from 12 May 2004). The problem still isn't fixed and I was going to post a reply to my original thread (I've been away for a while), but if it's OK I'll just post here and see we can both get our problems fixed as they sound related.

Originally, I had thought the problem was to do with the Maxtor external disk I used for the backup, as that had given some odd issues. But then I tried running the backup to an empty part of the PC's hard disk and I still get the hanging.

Like you, I find that I can run the MS backup and other backup s/w without a problem, but Retrospect always hangs the PC. I've also disabled as many of the services as I can and made sure I'm not running ant-virus software etc but it just doesn't help!

Any suggestions from anyone!?

• 3 weeks later...

natew,

Thanks for the suggestion but, unfortunately, it did not fix the problem.

I tried a custom re-install, choosing not to install the open file backup, but that still hasn't solved the problem. Curiously, the very first time backup I ran after the re-install worked fine, but the next four attempts hung the PC each time. I tried uninstalling and re-installing Retrospect again but this time the hanging started with the first attempt at backup, so I think the one successful backup was a coincidence.

It does look like the problem is related to Retropect as both the Win32k supplied backup and a different supplier's backup software work fine. However, I really wanted to use Retrospect becasue of the rich (and required) functionality and because I've paid for the license! I am now running out of patience (and time) with the software. I'd like to try one final suggestion, if you or anyone else has one, before I will have to give up on Retrospect.

I have noticed similar freezing with the new updated Restrospect Pro. Before I used the fifth version and there wasn't any problem. Now I have find about four to five times similar freezing with Retrospect 6.5.

I have old Pentium Celeron system with Win2k Pro. The program is newly updated and everything should be the latest versions.

Is this freezing very common problem with Retrospect 6.5 an Win2k Pro?

Hi

Freezing is not a common problem. It is often caused by a software conflict, corrupt windows installations or by devices attached to the system. What other CD/Tape writing applications do you have installed? If you manually stop the Retrospect launcher service do the problems continue?

Thanks

Nate

• 2 weeks later...

Natew,

Thanks for the suggestions, but the backups still freeze 90% of the time. I've tried stopping the launcher serive, done a custom re-install without the open files option and set all devices to "Ignore" in the client configuration, but all to no avail. In terms of devices, I just have a CD writer and a USB attached Maxtor disk. I'm still trying to run the test backups to an empty part of the main PC disk to discount any issues with the external Maxtor. I would readily believe that the freezing was due a software conflict or corrupt windows installations if other backup software also had problems but, as I've mentioned before, the two I've tried work fine.

At the moment, I'm using Retrospect on a different PC and a competitor (inferior) product on the problem win2k PC. This, obviously, is not a suitable solution and am still hoping to use Retrospect on both PCs. So, if there are any more suggestions, I'll try them out.

Hi

Have you specified a specific user to run Retrospect as? If so try using the default setting instead. Does the machine actually freeze solid? No mouse, No keyboard? Just to clarify, Does the machine freeze all the time or just when a backup is running?

Retrospect just copies files like you would in Windows. The only difference is that it copies a lot of files at once. The extra bandwidth may uncover other problems that had existed on the machine but weren't noticable before.

Nate

Windows 2000 - logged in as administrator - backing up to Maxtor 250GB One Touch external drive connected via FireWire.

I am having the same problem i.e. Windows freezes completely (no cursor movement, no response whatsoever, forced to reboot) when I'm backing up using Retrospect Express OEM 6.0.222. Backups are initiated via Retrospect, not the One Touch button.

The very first backup after installation of the drive and software worked fine. Subsequent backups cause Windows to completely freeze up.

I've not tried reinstallation, but I have tried clearing the destination drives to no avail.

When Windows restarts, Retrospect reports a problem due to power failure or system crash.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi

I had a PCI Promise controller that worked fine with backups to a USB drive.

My guess is the problem is with either your USB card drivers or PCI on your motherboard. How old is the mother board? are there any BIOS updates available? Have you tried updating your USB card drivers?

Thanks

Nate

I think I found the source of my problem as I watched one of my backups... It seem to hang on the backing up of a Retrospect .rbc file!

I removed all .rbc files from the source disk and the following backup went without a problem.

This is probably covered in the manual that I haven't read or something...

Hi

An RBC. file is a Retrospect catalog file. How big was the file you deleted? What was the name?

Catalog files are regular files like any other. I suspect the file was either damaged or this is a coincidence and the error could happen again on another file later.

Nate

I'm not completely sure, but I think the file was around 50MB. I can't remember the exact name, but it was something like "Business backup set A.rbc".

I think the problem only ever happened on this disk although the backup sources were from multiple disks.

The first subsequent backup has just completed without any problems. This is the first one since I started using the software!

Archived