Cannot launch Retrospect browser

Has anyone seen when cannot get into the Retropsec Browser and then leave it, close it out and come back at a later time that day or whenever I go back in, I will get the splash screen with EMC Retrospect- blue horizontal lines and it will just sit there. This is not the familiar EMC Retrospect white splash screen which launches the management program. It will not launch the program. I have to go into Services and Stop and Start the Retrospect Browser services again. Then I can launch the browser program. We are running Retrospect 7.6.123 for Windows - multi server. Is there a fix for this? It will sometimes screw me up if I get a message about the tapes or it requires attention. If I have to stop the browser services to get in, the job get's cancelled automatically which defeats the purpose of running a backup. :confused: Thanks.

It's the service that runs on the media server that seems to not work reliably. I have to stop and start the service when I launch it on a daily basis to check backups. If a backup is in the middle of running or I need to check a message waiting, the only way to get it launched again is to stop and start the service which then cancels the job awaiting a response for instance. Here is the name of the .exe on the server that runs Retrospect- "C:\Program Files\Retrospect\Retrospect 7.6\retrorun.exe"

Display Name: Retrospect Launcher

Description: Helps Retrospect run backup or duplicate on schedule. It's the only service under Retrospect that is on that server, so I don't know where else to fix this problem. Thanks.

My term's may have been misleading. It's the launcher program. Sorry. It's the service that runs on the media server that seems to not work reliably. I have to stop and start the service when I launch it on a daily basis to check backups. If a backup is in the middle of running or I need to check a message waiting, the only way to get it launched again is to stop and start the service which then cancels the job awaiting a response for instance. Here is the name of the .exe on the server that runs Retrospect- "C:\Program Files\Retrospect\Retrospect 7.6\retrorun.exe"

Display Name: Retrospect Launcher

Description: Helps Retrospect run backup or duplicate on schedule. It's the only service under Retrospect that is on that server, so I don't know where else to fix this problem. Thanks

The launcher service is only supposed to come into play to help start a backup and should not affect a backup once it has been started.

Did you also make sure to enable the launcher service in the Retrospect preferences?

I always stop and start this service before any full backups and on Monday of each week just to make sure my scripts will execute automatically for the week. I occasionally do run into a problem where the script did not execute automatically but this happens very infrequently.

I have not tried stopping and starting during a backup but it should have no effect after a backup has been started.

Yes the launcher is enabled in Preferences. I can tell you that if you stop or do a restart of the launcher service, it will cancel any active backups, particularly if you have a message waiting for media or such, and you try to launch the launcher, it will display a EMC restrospect blue stripped splashbox and sit there, and you are done. You don't get the normal white box launcher program. At that juncture, I stop and start the launcher service and get a message back job cancelled by operator. I have already experienced this. Backup Exec never would do that. If you launch Backup Exec during a backup session in progress it comes up and you can see everything that is going on. I never heard of a pgm like Retrospect not being able to launch the pgm or having to stop and start the service to re-launch the pgm. You shouldn't have to stop and start the service daily like I have to right now to get it to function for the rest of the day. That is not a normal operational prgm.

"I will get the splash screen with EMC Retrospect- blue horizontal lines and it will just sit there."

If this is the same as my problem, the Task Manager calls it the "Retrospect Monitor"

(In Program Files it seems to be "Retrospect Activity Monitor") and it is useless, not allowing you to do anything. By dint of something like icon substitution, it is the only Retrospect thing that starts even when I click the "Retrospect 7.7" file in Program Files. So I am locked out of managing anything of Retrospect.

Yes, this is the same thing that happens to me. You get the blue horizontal lines and you are basically done, until you either stop and start the service or do a restart, which will cancel any active jobs that are awaiting attention, ie waiting for media or whatever. Retrospect I think is a far cry from Backp Exec, but I am trying to give it the respect but I am losing my patience. I am about to make recommendations to my management to rip it out and replace it with Backup Exec 2010. At least I can get decent backups with that and it's way more intuitive than Retrospect. Who even owns this software now. It seems to have changed hands so many times. Is it EMC?, Dantz, Roxio? :question:

How do you guys exit Retrospect, by using the File menu or using the "Close" button? I have always exited through the File menu and have never run into this problem. There is a bug in Windows OSes that when using the "close" button it does not actually kill the process associated with the application or program is not recognized as being closed by Windows.

Since it thinks you are trying to open a second instance it is choking leaving you at the screen you describe. I would see if the problem goes away if you exit Retrospect through the File menu.

I think I have exited both ways and it didn't seem to matter. But I will try the next time to exit from the file menu and see if that does it. You would think it wouldn't matter, but I know that some programs don't like the x pressed. It leaves them in an unstable state. I will give it a try. Thanks.

Also before using the file menu to exit I would restart the server just to make sure all instances of Retropsect are killed. It could be the memory leak bug leading to Retrospect not thinking there is enough memory to run.

Also are you trying to launch Retrospect while a script is going because that can cause the problem since it would be a second instance of Retrospect being launched? If it works fine when no scripts are running then it definitely sounds like the two instances situation.