Summary Report Shows +4 GB To Go...

rapope

Hi,

I just came across a message showing a backup as complete on a Mac running Snow Leopard that is running both the Management Console and the engine. The computer has 11 GB of RAM installed and the volume in question is the Macintosh HD (boot volume).

I've seen messages stating "backup complete" where it showed an amount remaining, and these are usually a very small amount a MB or two (usually less). In this case, it showed 48 files 4.2 GB remaining. How do I determine if this was a complete backup?

I am using an exclusion filter (skipping items flagged as gray) and I do not perform verifications.

Does anyone have any insight into this? I am running the version of the program that was released today (14-Sep-2009).

Thanks,

Rocky

I am using an exclusion filter (skipping items flagged as gray)...

Previous user reports here on the Forum suggest that Rules based on Finder Label colors are completely and totally bonked.

I can't remember if "grey" was one of the (few) colors reported to work accurately; certainly the majority of them do not provide expected results with the first Retrospect 8 releases; I don't know if 8.1.525 addressed the problem.

Dave

Previous user reports here on the Forum suggest that Rules based on Finder Label colors are completely and totally bonked.

I can't remember if "grey" was one of the (few) colors reported to work accurately; certainly the majority of them do not provide expected results with the first Retrospect 8 releases; I don't know if 8.1.525 addressed the problem.

From Retrospect 8 Release Notes:

Fixes in EMC Retrospect 8.1 build 525

21749: Label rules not working correctly

It shows the same information:

9/14/2009 7:38:36 PM: Snapshot stored, 966.6 MB

9/14/2009 7:39:26 PM: Execution completed successfully

Remaining: 48 files, 4.3 GB

Completed: 16703 files, 18.0 GB, with 71% compression

Performance: 536.9 MB/minute

Duration: 02:34:54 (02:00:41 idle/loading/preparing)

What do you make of this?

Thanks,

Rocky

OK, I remember this from when this release first came out. I was able to verify that gray worked correctly.

In any case, it appears that the labels issue was fixed in this release.

[sorry about replying to the wrong message.]

Thanks,

Rocky

Edited by Guest
Added remark about replying to wrong message.

When a backup completes (that is really completes) but shows some files remaining, this is in my experience due to -

a) Files being busy and unable to be accessed

B) Files changing between scanning and attempting to be backed up

c) Files being deleted between scanning and attempting to be backed up

A large number of files potentially could change during a backup such as web-browser cache files, other temporary files, email messages (each is an individual file), and if you have it installed your anti-virus software might have updated it self during the backup. One of the standard Retrospect filters does try and automatically exclude some temporary files, but some applications are poorly written and stick the temporary files in non-standard locations (e.g Word).

In your case the number of files is well within normal limits, but the total size is far more than I would expect unless you had been working on a large file (e.g. video, or disk image).

I'll keep a look out to see what happens in the future. I appreciate the breakdown of potential reasons why there would be a large number left over like that. I don't think I was working on something very large, but I do remember seeing Adobe Lightroom commence a backup. That could explain things...

Thanks,

Rocky