Assertion Failure at "tstring.cpp-2214"

ballmich

I have no idea what this means, but I haven't been able to troubleshoot it at all. I've uninstalled Resprospect Express HD 2.5 and downloaded/installed it again (multiple times). Still getting this error. All cables are attached fine. The backup drive is on and has power. I can manually copy items to the backup drive without a problem. It's just the restrospect software that I can't get to work properly.

It was error free and backing up every week just fine for about six months. Then started having this problem.

Anyone know what I should do?

I don't use Retrospect Express, so I can't help you.

It may be that the reason no one is able to help you is that you have not provided any information at all about your setup. No information regarding what your hardware or OS version is, the specific version (2.5.x) of Retrospect Express, etc.

But see this thread which indicates that yours is a known issue for Retrospect 2.5.113 which no bug fix release had been provided as of a year ago:

Assertion Failure at tstring.cpp-2214 is known, no fix available

Perhaps there is a current update that fixes that problem.

Russ

I've just had, and cured, exactly the same problem, with Retrospect Express HD 2.0. I tried downloading 2.5, but the problem persisted. Eventually I fixed it by uninstalling the program, cleaning the registry (used CCleaner, probably unnecessary, but I wanted everything out) and, most importantly, deleting the configuration file which uninstalling leaves behind. This is normally located in Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\RetroExp. Simply delete the whole folder. I found it was also necessary to delete (or rename) the previous Retrospect Restore Points folder on the external backup drive (see below).

After a clean reinstall it is now working perfectly, admittedly at a cost of losing all my previous backups.

I did try the reinstallation as above, but without renaming the old Retrospect Restore Points folder. It then appeared to work fine until I tried a test restore - and immediately the dreaded tstring message appeared. So it seems you need to delete both the configuration file and the previous backup files on the external drive. But at least it's now working again.

The big question remaining is what makes it happen in the first place.

Well, if you follow the link that I provided upthread to the year-ago reporting of this problem, you can see that one solution (without losing older backups) appears to be to upgrade to the full version 7.6 of Retrospect:

HD 2.5.113 crashes while restoring files from HD 2.0.214

Assurance was given in that thread a year ago that EMC would try to fix this bug "as quick as possible".

Retrospect HD crashing bug to be fixed as quick as possible

Quick is a relative term....

Russ

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having the same "assertion failure at tstring.cpp-2214" with Retrospect 2.5 Express. It's brand new and just installed on Windows Vista and I'm already getting this error. I think I'm going to box the Iomega drive back up and send it back. If they can't fix an error in over a year that shows what kind of product and service they sell.

Hi all,

I just saw this post when searching, and I wanted to let everyone know that this tstring assert was due to a log size bug. It was fixed in Retrospect Express HD 2.5.123. Get Express HD updates here: http://www.retrospect.com/supportupdates/updates/retroexpress/.

If you're already using build 123, and you're still seeing this problem, please reply here and let us know.

I hope this helps.

Eric

Hi all,

I just saw this post when searching, and I wanted to let everyone know that this tstring assert was due to a log size bug. It was fixed in Retrospect Express HD 2.5.123. Get Express HD updates here: http://www.retrospect.com/supportupdates/updates/retroexpress/.

If you're already using build 123, and you're still seeing this problem, please reply here and let us know.

Perhaps, except that, as of this moment, the currently-downloadable update is still 2.5.113, which is the version that was reported as having the bug.

download.dantz.com/archives/Express_HD-EN_2_5_[color:red]113[/color].exe

Perhaps if version 2.5.123, which supposedly has this fix, were to be provided as an update, it might help.

Russ

D'oh! Thanks, Russ. I was looking at 7.6.123. It looks like we'll be making Express HD 2.5.126 available within a week or two.

In the meantime, anyone experiencing this problem should try renaming the Operations Log, so that Retrospect Express HD will start a new one.

To rename the Operations Log:

1. Exit from Retrospect Express HD via the icon in the System Tray.

2. In a Windows Explorer window, navigate to the directory where Retrospect Express HD keeps its files per your operating system below. (It will be necessary to Show Hidden Files to navigate to this directory.)

Win XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\RetroExp\

Vista/7: C:\ProgramData\RetroExp\

3. Rename the file "operations_log" to "operations_log_old".

4. Launch Retrospect Express HD.

Please let me know if this interim solution works.

Thanks.

Eric

• 1 month later...

HI!

I made a back with EMC retrospect Express HD for Windows 2.5 then I had reinstall windows from scratch and I reinstall EMC retrospect Express HD for Windows 2.5. Now every time a scheduled backup executes I receive the following error message...

Retrospect has encountered a serious error:

Assertion failure at 'tstring.cpp-441"

A log of this error has been written to the file "assert_log.utx".

What can I do?

Thank you

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
It looks like we'll be making Express HD 2.5.126 available within a week or two.

That was stated 6 months ago- yet the latest release is still the buggy 2.5.113. I find it pretty remarkable that you would be sitting on a fix for this long... this is a critical issue. Out of the box, your software failed to start after completing my very first backup. And I tried installing it on a second computer with the exact same results. Are you just counting on no one using your software?? Cause that's the net effect here.

3. Rename the file "operations_log" to "operations_log_old".

Yup - getting rid of this file fixed things for me. Thanks. Amazing that it is that simple, yet I have wasted this much time installing/uninstalling and googling. And, I take it I will have to delete that file after every backup, otherwise it will get too large again.

Please consider releasing your latest build... this has been a known issue for quiet some time now.

I guess you haven't really found the latest release, because it isn't 2.5.113 like you seem to believe.

http://www.retrospect.com/supportupdates/updates/retroexpress/

Um, Robin, you might want to check your updates page. The downloadable update for Retrosepct 2.5 (dated June 18, 2009) on that page is:

http://download.dantz.com/archives/Express_HD-EN_2_5_113.exe

See also the first forum topic in the "Express for Windows" forum:

Express 2.5 is the current version

Russ

• 9 months later...

I recently re-installed Restrospect Express HD 2.5 on my PC system (XP Home w/ Service Pack 3) and am getting the following error message whenever I try to display any restore points on my external hard disk:

Assertion Failure at tstring.cpp-2214

I tried to rename my .rbc file and it says access is denied. Make sure the disk isn't full (it's not) or that the file is not currently in use. I've uninstalled the Retrospect software and rebooted. The file shouldn't be in use. Any ideas? How do I fix this?

When I click on Backup Now, it runs, but doesn't appear to back anything up. Help!!!