how to Repair Catalog

Now, having found the repair & rebuild buttons, how does one go about repairing a catalog file without either the Engine or the Console crashing?

Engine: 8.1.148.1

Running under Mac OS 10.4.11

Dual G4 1.25 GHz, 2GB RAM, 52GB avail on 80GB HD.

SCSI connection to ADIC FastStor2 LTO3 tape library

Was in the middle of a large-ish (3TB) backup, with about 650GB remaining to copy to tape, and the engine crashed, leaving the catalog unfinished, after which every repeated Proactive Backup attempt failed, reporting that the catalog needs to be rebuilt (using the old syntax from 6.1, as the OP pointed out).

Attempting to repair the catalog file, on first attempt the engine crashed, so I restarted the engine, paused proactive backups & stopped anything that had already started. Once the server was effectively idle, I attempted to repair the catalog set for the Media Set that was in use, and the Console crashed. Each attempt after the second try has resulted in either the engine or the console crashing, and they each seem to proceed in order (3rd attempt: engine crashed; 4th attempt: console crashed; 5th attempt: engine crashed, you get the pattern).

Console running on:

10.5.8 Server

Xserve 2 Dual-Core Xeon

6GB RAM

Any ideas? Would it help to disable the "allow Fast Catalog rebuilds" or would that just take the full amount of time of re-indexing all tapes in the set (and still possibly crash)?

Please feel free to contact me if more information would be useful in troubleshooting.

Thanks!

Gary

Edited by Guest

How silly of me to leave out the critical pipeline details:

ATTO ExpressPCI UL4S:

Name: ATTO,ExpressPCIProUL4D

Type: scsi-2

Bus: PCI

Slot: SLOT-3

Vendor ID: 0x117c

Device ID: 0x0030

Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x117c

Subsystem ID: 0x8014

ROM Revision: 1.5.0

Revision ID: 0x0008

Been in use the past 3 years with consistent, up to 1GB/min backup use with Retrospect 6.1, which led me to believe it would be more than adequate with 8.1, though I admit I have not scoured the compatibility list to verify that both the card and the tape library would work without issue.

If this card is the problem I'll be sorely disappointed, and re-evaluating my plan to go with 8.1, since it will mean more hardware upgrades than may be in the budget for this revision. I could relatively easily move this card to a G5 tower instead of the G4, but I'm not sure that would provide any real benefit beyond the processor speed. I haven't heard good things about this model/vendor SCSI cards in Intel machines, but I don't really have an Intel tower available.

I have yet to get back to troubleshooting, so if you have any insights, it would be much appreciated before I begin attempting to repair the catalog again.

I will look into updating the Boot ROM on the UL4S, but as of this morning, I am falling back to the Retrospect 6.1 installation, since a second backup set I attempted to back up over the weekend has now failed, in seemingly the same spot in the process of backing up another 3TB share: as it reached the end of the second tape in the backup set, the Retrospect Engine crashed at the point it should be loading the third member of the 4 I pre-assigned to get the backup started.

Without a way to repair or rebuild the catalog files, I cannot continue the backup of either set of data, so I will continue with the old solution until new information is available on how to repair or rebuild backup sets. I will also be looking into faster hardware for use as the backup server, though I will be limited to a dual-processor or dual-core G5 with 6GB RAM as the "new" backup server for the time being. I am following the "tips for PPC optimization" thread, and will plan on all of the improvements I can manage, but at this time, I do not have Intel hardware with a compatible SCSI card on hand.

Any other suggestions or information on how to successfully repair backup sets? Or get Retrospect 8.1 to use more than 2 LTO3 tapes in a backup set?

Thanks.

Gary