Is this even possible?

wharris1

I have the single server (workgroup version) of Retrospect.

I only have 1 server (a website running NT) and 5 client computers. I have dedicated 1 of the client computers (running XP) as a backup computer to back up the other 4 clients AND the NT webserver (which is all set up as a client.) The client computers are seperated from the internet (and the NT webserver) by a router. (208 IP prefix for the webserver and 192 prefix for the client machines.)

When I try to specify the IP address of the webserver, Retrospect tells me I need another license. But I only have 1 server and the software I am using is supposedly for a single server. Do I have to run the backup software on my website? (I don't want to do this for permormance and security reasons.)

Could I install a second LAN card in the webserver and connect it to the internal LAN? (192 prefix.)

When Dantz refers to "server", does this refer to server as in "NT Server" or does it simply refer to the machine that is running the backup software. (XP client in my case).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

You cannot backup a SERVER as a client with the workgroup version. You need multi-server version at minimum in order to backup a Server as a client. There is no way around this except for installing Retrospect on that Server machine and backing up the rest of your NON server machines as clients.

Bummer.

If I install the Retrospect software on my web server, will I be able to access my clients (Windows and Mac) on the other side of my router?

I may have to return this software (if I can't resolve this issue) as the cost of the multiserver version is way out of my budget.

Melissa,

I haven't tried as yet. I was thinking of doing something a little bit different. Please tell me if you think this is feasible...

Background: Windows NT server with Retrospect CLIENT on one network (208.x.x.x). Dedicated XP Pro machine running the Retrospect 6.0 backup software on internal network (192.x.x.x).

What if I installed another NIC in the XP machine and assigned it an ip address on the 208 network. I could then use the XP network filter to only allow traffic on port 497. (Remember, both machines are on the same side of the firewall but a gateway device seperates the 2 networks.)

Would my license allow me to back up the NT server volumes to my deidicated XP machine?

This would be great because my dedicated backup server could then run backups for the local LAN (192) AND the Internet server (208).

Let me know what you think.

Well, this didn't work. I see the website client but when I try to connect Retrospect says that I need to purchase another license for $600.00.

This is very frustrating because I feel that I have paid the required fee already. The package I purchased is supposed to be good for 1 server and lots of clients. I only have 1 server and 5 clients.

I was able to install Retrospect onto my website server and then map a drive to my local machine (which I purchased just for backup purposes). This works but I am not happy about the security implications or the performance hit I am taking on my website.

Not a happy camper...

With Single Server edition, you can install the application on the Server and install client software on your workstations. We don't recommend backing up via mapped drive - you will not backup the registry, system state information or NTFS permissions.

Archived