problems with ext firewire

noell

I have had this problem with Express so I upgraded to 6 Pro hoping it would go away, but it didn't. (I also wanted to backup my wife's computer.)

Most times, but not always, when I try to backup my drive to a file on the external FW drive, it gets past determining the number of files, but just when it should start copying files, the external drive light comes on and stays on forever (well, at least for an hour -than I gave up) - while the internal drive light does not come on at all.

I have to force quit and reboot. After 3 to 6 tries, force quitting each time, it will suddenly work perfectly and quickly. Any ideas on what the problem is???

• 2 weeks later...

Just so I am clear, I have to turn OFF restore (and thereby lose ALL my restore points) any time I want to use Retrospect with a Firewire drive as my backup drive? Because Retrospect apparently cannot effectively save anything but data (i.e., when a drive crashes under XP I must re-install the OS and all my apps anyway since the Registry cannot be restored), I lose an important system safeguard if I use Retrospect, no?

Writing to hard drives with Windows XP System restore function enabled can cause hangs during the backup. We are investigating these issues. With Retrospect 6.0, you can try using a Disk Backup Set, rather then a file backup set. This may resolve your issue. If not, you will need to keep the System Restore function disabled while doing backups.

In reply to:

Because Retrospect apparently cannot effectively save anything but data (i.e., when a drive crashes under XP I must re-install the OS and all my apps anyway since the Registry cannot be restored), I lose an important system safeguard if I use Retrospect, no?

No - Retrospect is designed to backup and restore your _entire_ system (including your registry).

Archived