Catalog File out of sync

Hello,

I am having a problem with the Catalog File being repeatedly out of sync. It is reproducible every time:

1) Create a brand new Catalog File.

2) Run a full backup - completes successfully

3) Run a normal backup -- fails with the out of sync error.

Here is the full error:

Normal backup using RAID-C-ODD at 7/27/2009 6:36 AM (Execution unit 1)

To Media Set RAID-C-ODD...

7/27/2009 6:36:55 AM: Copying Homes on od1

7/27/2009 6:36:55 AM: No files need to be copied

!/&OK//&Stop///!Catalog File out of sync with Media Set "RAID-C-ODD".

To repair it, use Tools>Repair Catalog>Update existing Catalog File.

> !Catalog File out of sync with Media Set "RAID-C-ODD".

To repair it, use Tools>Repair Catalog>Update existing Catalog File.

7/27/2009 7:31:04 AM: Execution incomplete

Duration: 00:54:08 (00:54:03 idle/loading/preparing)

The server is running version 8.1 (build 150). It is backing up over the network, client running 6.3.019. Using a Exabyte VXA-3a tape drive.

Thanks

The catalog is on the boot disk of the server, the same as the Retrospect Applications.

I can do a "verify" on the catalog without a problem, but when I go to do a backup after that - it fails again with the same error.

What disk are you saving the catalog onto?

What happens after you do the catalog update? Does the problem stop?

Have you tried a full catalog rebuild?

I don't really understand what "all with the same result" means. When you do the catalog rebuild, what is reported in the log for that rebuild (not an update, but a rebuild)?

You could have a corrupt rdb data file. Maybe try creating a new media set and then run a copy media set script to copy the data into the new set.

LIke I said above -- the rebuild completes successfully - but then when I go to run a backup, I get the "out of sync" error again.

This is happening with more then 1 media set and more then 1 client.

I will try to create a new media set and copy the data again.

I don't really understand what "all with the same result" means. When you do the catalog rebuild, what is reported in the log for that rebuild (not an update, but a rebuild)?

You could have a corrupt rdb data file. Maybe try creating a new media set and then run a copy media set script to copy the data into the new set.

Ran another test on a non-RAID volume.

1) Setup a new Catalog

2) Erase a new tape with a name to match the Catalog

3) Setup a new script to copy a local Volume (non-RAID)

4) Ran the script and it backed up successfully

5) As soon as it was done, I ran the script again -- it then failed and says the Catalog is out of sync....

Thanks

Normal backup using [color:red]RAID[/color]-C-ODD at 7/27/2009 6:36 AM (Execution unit 1)

It might be instructive to try this with the source and catalog not on a RAID.

Russ

Ran another test on a non-RAID volume.

1) Setup a new Catalog

2) Erase a new tape with a name to match the Catalog

3) Setup a new script to copy a local Volume (non-RAID)

4) Ran the script and it backed up successfully

5) As soon as it was done, I ran the script again -- it then failed and says the Catalog is out of sync....

Can you confirm that you put the catalog on a non-RAID volume in addition to the source being on a non-RAID volume?

Reason I ask is that EMC seems to be trying to track down an elusive bug regarding RAID drives and Retrospect 8, and I'm not sure that such a (perhaps similar) bug has been eliminated here. But the RAID may be a red herring...

I'm not sure I reach the same conclusion that Dave does because we may have an incomplete set of facts.

Also, to help narrow down whether this is related to the drive:

(1) have you tried running the Exabyte (Tandberg) "vxatool" diagnostic on the drive?

Exabyte downloads for VXA-320

(2) Is your firmware up-to-date on the VXA-3 drive? (see Exabyte download link above)

(3) Are there any other devices on the Firewire 800 chain with the Exabyte drive? If so, have you tried putting the Exabyte drive on its own Firewire chain?

Russ

I just got done running 9 different tests with various settings -- all on non-RAID devices (catalog and sources) - and all end up with the same error.

1) The vxaTool test comes back clean - "Drive functions properly"

2) Firmware is up to date on the storageloader and drive.

3) This is the only Firewire device connected to the server.

Thanks for the suggestions/help so far.

Brad

Can you confirm that you put the catalog on a non-RAID volume in addition to the source being on a non-RAID volume?

Reason I ask is that EMC seems to be trying to track down an elusive bug regarding RAID drives and Retrospect 8, and I'm not sure that such a (perhaps similar) bug has been eliminated here. But the RAID may be a red herring...

I'm not sure I reach the same conclusion that Dave does because we may have an incomplete set of facts.

Also, to help narrow down whether this is related to the drive:

(1) have you tried running the Exabyte (Tandberg) "vxatool" diagnostic on the drive?

Exabyte downloads for VXA-320

(2) Is your firmware up-to-date on the VXA-3 drive? (see Exabyte download link above)

(3) Are there any other devices on the Firewire 800 chain with the Exabyte drive? If so, have you tried putting the Exabyte drive on its own Firewire chain?

Russ

1) The vxaTool test comes back clean - "Drive functions properly"

There are many tests that the vxatool program can do. Did you throw in a blank tape and let it do extended writes (lots of blocks) way out on the tape?

So far, the only common element is the tape drive. That seems to point to either problems with DMA transfers from firewire, scribbling randomly to/from memory, Retrospect's driver for the tape drive, or problems with the tape drive itself. Starting to look like Dave may be right.

I've got the previous generation of this drive (VXA-2 1x10 1u PacketLoader), but SCSI on ATTO UL4D, not firewire.

Do you happen to have a Firewire drive that you could put in place of the tape drive, to try file backup to that drive? Might help confirm that the problem is not on the Firewire controller, etc.

File Backup Set works like normal.

Ok, this seems to indicate that it's not a RAM issue in your computer.

Russ

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Is there any solution to this "Catalog File out of sync with Media Set"-Problem?

While a recycling backup works fine, any normal incremental backup always fail with this error message.

Config used: Mac mini - FW800 - Tandberg VXA 320 Autoloader

An example below:

+  Recycling-Backup mit Sicherung am 26.02.10 (Ausführungseinheit 1)
   nach Backup-Set Medienset B...
      26.02.10 22:00:00: Recycling-Backup: Backup-Set wurde zurückgesetzt.
   -  26.02.10 22:00:00: Kopieren von XXX auf Server HD
      26.02.10 22:03:36: Snapshot gespeichert, 199 KB
      26.02.10 22:03:45: Vergleichen von XXX auf Server HD
      26.02.10 22:06:04: Ausführung wurde erfolgreich beendet
   Erledigt: 196 Dateien, 1,1 GB
   Durchsatz: 593,3 MB/Min (Kopieren: 620,5, Vergleich: 568,4)
   Dauer: 00:06:04(00:02:15 Leerlauf/Warten/Vorbereiten)

+  Normales Backup mit Sicherung am 01.03.10 (Ausführungseinheit 1)
   nach Backup-Set Medienset B...
   -  01.03.10 22:00:00: Kopieren von XXX auf Server HD
   !/&OK//&Stop///!Catalog File out of sync with Media Set "Medienset B".  To repair it, use Tools>Repair Catalog>Update existing Catalog File..

I am really fed up with this unusable software and absolutely NO support from EMC!!!

:angryred:

Bernd

I am really fed up with this unusable software and absolutely NO support from EMC!!!

Bernd,

Have you contacted EMC support on this issue? I don't have your particular configuration, so I can't test / see your issue.

These forums are user-to-user support, and are not the way to contact EMC support. We are just users like you are, struggling along until bugs are fixed. Here's how to contact EMC support:

Contact EMC Retrospect support

Russ

Our customer paid for their R8 package.

I cannot see any reason to pay for a support plan to solve problems. (That is what EMCs support plan says, right?)

Retrospect was sold to our customer a few weeks ago and NEVER worked as it should!

Tandberg VXA 320 is a certified FireWire800 drive.

:question:

Bernd

Edited by Guest

So, doing a "rebuild" of the catalog file doesn't work?

No, it does not. I tried, but after adding the tape I was asked for, I got an error I can't still remember now.

So I tried to start over and deleted skripts, mediasets and erased any tape that was used before.

Same result. A recycling backup works, any later backup does not.

A later recycling backup using the same mediaset works fine again.

I have no idea what might be responsible for this strange behavior.

I really need help EMC!

Bernd

Our customer paid for their R8 package.

I cannot see any reason to pay for a support plan to solve problems. (That is what EMCs support plan says, right?)

Retrospect was sold to our customer a few weeks ago and NEVER worked as it should!

Tandberg VXA 320 is a certified FireWire800 drive.

Bernd,

Once again, I suggest that you contact EMC Retrospect support:

Contact EMC Retrospect Support

It's my understanding that there is an initial 30-day no-charge support period, even if you don't purchase the Annual Support package (which you should purchase for complex software like this, in my opinion). The EMC Retrospect support group is pretty good.

From your problem statement, above, it appears that your customer is still within the initial 30-day no-charge support period.

I notice that your log messages are in German. The EU also has additional laws ("fit for intended use") for consumer protection that may apply, so you may have remedies that aren't available to those of us in the US.

If you aren't able to resolve this through support channels, then request a refund. I believe that has to be done within the first 30 days as well.

I really need help EMC!

Bernd, I believe you may misunderstand. These are user-to-user support forums, and are not the way to contact EMC Retrospect support. From

EMC Retrospect Forum Rules:

This forum is a community based self help tool for users of the Retrospect Backup Software and other EMC Insignia Products. ...

While this forum is monitored by members of the EMC Technical Support team, it is not possible to reply to all questions and threads. This forum is not an official method for contacting technical support. EMC employees are under no obligation to reply to individual forum posts. If you need immediate technical support, you can contact technical support directly at http://www.emcinsignia.com/contactsupport

Your problem is not one that is going to be solved in this user-to-user support forum. Did I mention that you should contact EMC Retrospect Support? You should.

The only way that this is going to get investigated and fixed is through support channels. I suggest that you contact EMC Retrospect support.

Russ