Cannot find any sources unless I manually add client ip

Please try using subnet broadcast instead of multicast which requires IGMP be correctly configured on the network to hop routers.

What happens if you put a copy of Retrospect in the other network segment? Can it see clients in that segment?

Edited by Guest

I have also enabled broadcasts between the two vlans. That did not work either.

I've been waiting for a time to test it out on the same subnet. Haven't been able to find an available computer to install it on.

Edited by Guest

I should also say that the computers with the clients go through a switch that is on a phone... then go back to the layer 3 switch. Would that have anything to do with it? Maybe the multicast packets are getting stuck at the phone switch? Is that a possibility?

This is not the case because I hooked up a computer directory to the switch and it still cannot find any sources.

Sorry, your conclusion is wrong. You have previously parceled out your network configuration in bits and pieces, stating that you have a Cisco Layer 3 switch with vlans:

... on the layer 3 switch they are on.

Could it be because they are on different vlans?

... on the cisco switch.

Unless the switch to which you connect the computer has its vlans and Layer 3 configuration set up properly, even if you plug your computer into the same switch as the one with the Retrospect computer, there is no assurance that multicast, unicast, broadcast, or anything to that computer's switch port actually passes.

We know that routing for IP works between the client and the Retrospect machine because you indicate everything works if you add by IP.

Yours is a networking issue, not a Retrospect issue. We might be able to help if you provided some concise description of your network topology, where the vlans are, subnets, etc., between your computer and the Retrospect machine, both in your original configuration and in your test.

Actually, your most productive use of troubleshooting time would be to put a network monitor (Ethereal, now known as WireShark, or any of the many packet monitoring programs) on the segment with the client computer, look for the multicast and unicast packets from Retrospect, play with your network infrastructure until the discovery chit-chat occurs between Retrospect and the client.

WireShark freeware

Russ

Edited by Guest