Disk set 'needs new media'

You probably shouldn't have the program change this (it could be an unexpected security issue to mount an external drive all the time).

However, you might want to reference the .plist change in a KB article for those that would want to do this.

Two thoughts:

@Mayoff

It could be made a user selectable installation option with an explanation of why the user would want this change from the OS' default behavior.

@Maser

We're talking about drives which are physically attached to the Retrospect Engine machine. If you don't have physical security, you don't have any security. I don't know anyone who has their servers set up kiosk style...

My disk is iSCSI attached, HFS+ and the user is not logged out from console. I have not been able to do one backup to disk media!?!?! Everytime I choose media it will just continue asking for media, and yes there is a member:) any errorlogs to check? Or other sugestions?

I've now done a test, started the backup (logged in through ARD to the machine) - still asks for media ...

Then I quit the Retrospect admin console, logged in and tried again, but after selecting disk still nothing happens ...

The same disk is used for file backupset and that just works - so the disk is there ...?!?!?!?!

Well, it is fairly simple...

I create a disk media set, add a member.

Then I create a script, add a few servers, choose the disk media set.

Hit the run button.

It scans the first server, and when it is going to start copying it asks for media.

I click choose, choose the same disk as originaly added to the set, click Add and nothing happens ...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've finally had time to get back to this. It seems Retrospect 8 has an issue with 8T+ volumes. Doing a bit of trial and error with creating new RAID volumes I've found that if I make anything 8T or bigger the disk sets I try and put on that volume fail, requesting new media. If I make one 7.95 TB (according to Disk Utility) I can get a backup to go onto a disk set on that volume.

I was trying to back up to a 19.1T volume, just like Retrospect 6 is still going with it's File sets on a different server

Sure

Both my real backup volume and the 10T RAID0 I setup for testing are on ACNC JetStor 416 FC RAID chassis' connected over Fiber channel to our new Nehelem Xserve with an Apple FC HBA. Both are formatted Journaled HFS+, the real one with an Apple Partition Map and the test one with a GUID Partition map.

In testing different volumes sizes I recycle & delete all the members in my test disk set then repartition the testing RAID volume with Disk Utility to the size I want, leaving any excess as "Free space". I then add a new member to my test disk set, change one of my scripts to use the test set and run it.

• 1 month later...