Frustrated Newbie

I am having the same problem

Sigh.

I also dropped out of the Beta program after I posted a similar message and could not get this to work.

Perhaps, before dropping out, you could have responded to the questions posed by other community members who were trying to help.

I thought I would try this again with the public release, but still not working

What, exactly, are you typing into the Retrospect "Add Share...->Server" field?

And it really wouldn't hurt (as in "it would really help a lot") if you described your hardware/software configuration completely; where is the Retrospect Engine running, where is the Retrospect Application running, etc. "Same problem" doesn't describe anything adequately enough.

I did not mean to rub you the wrong way, but would appreciate if you lay off the 1990's style forum lecture. Luckily, there are not as many forum bullies nowadays.

When I say exactly, that is exactly what I mean. Not sure why that is not forthright of me? I am having the same exact problem, tried all the same solutions in this forum and get the same exact problem. Which is I can not connect my Time Capsule and Retrospect can not find my volume.

I stopped responded to the Beta forum as there was not an easy fix to what should be an easy problem. I am getting pretty close again this time. Certainly, not a great loss to anybody if I don't use the program, but I am sure I am not the only one. The easiest way to use Apple's Time Machine, is with a Time Capsule. Time Machine, should be the a big competitor for Retrospect in the Mac market. Seems to me, someone should have figured this out already.

So does anybody want to help me without insulating me and lecturing me?

Edited by Guest

So does anybody want to help me without insulating me and lecturing me?

I tried to reproduce the problem without success although we did find a bug along the way that is fixed in our pending update.

We for sure would like to understand what is happening and either offer a solution or log a bug. It may be best to call support directly. Phone support is free right now.

When I say exactly, that is exactly what I mean

Except you didn't say "exactly." Well, execpt for that one time. No, two times...

I am having the same exact problem

So your Time Capsule is named "SGPTimeCapsule," same as the original poster [color:blue]S. Penzes[/color]'? What an amazing coincidence!

I stopped responded to the Beta forum as there was not an easy fix to what should be an easy problem

In your final post to that thread, you wrote:

>I am not computer illiterate, but I just can't seem to get this to work. When I go into 'add member' I see

> my directory names, within my main hard drive, but there is no way to navigate to another drive."

This seems, on first read, to suggest that you don't understand how the program works.

When the little "+" icon is clicked in the Members tab of a Disk Media Set, the resulting file browser shows only locally attached volumes (and any previously configured network shared volumes). Having the Time Capsule volume mounted via AFP on your Macintosh Desktop will have no impact on Retrospect's behavior. And why should it? If Retrospect's engine machine could be configured to read from or write to a mounted sharepoint, that volume would become unavailable when no user was logged into the engine machine. That would result in failed backups, which would result in a risk of data loss. Not a Good Thing.

> Seems to me, someone should have figured this out already.

Agreed.

Note Robin's post above (#119086) where he reported:

"I tested the time capsule in my office and it worked."

I'm not suggesting that there can't possibly be a bug that is interfering with your ability to connect to and access the Time Capsule on your network; all readers of the Forum realize that there are a lot of bugs with this first release.

But I fail to understand why you'd rather post an additional plea for assistance without first being willing to answer direct questions asked as a means to help? Seriously?

When you navigate to:

Media Sets->YourDiskMediaSet->Members (Details Pane Tab)->Tiny "+" Icon->Add Share... (button)

What, exactly, do you enter in the Server field there?

It's perfectly understandable for new Retrospect 8 users to be stuck in the older "Classic" concepts of how the program should work. But without your contributing the specific steps you are taking (see any post by [color:red]Maser[/color] as an example of detailed, accurate and helpful reports) all that's left is good old fashioned User Error. No one is being a bully just for pointing that out.

Dave