Help with "error -808"

LewBrown

I have had good luck with this software until recently. My computer is backed up weekly and all was well until several months ago. Now instead of backing up I receive an error message as below:

- [color:red]3/1/2009 4:00:42 AM: Copying Local Disk (C:)

Trouble matching Local Disk (C:) to system backup 3-7-200, error -808 (key/refnum search failed)

Can't compress Catalog File for Backup Set system backup 3-7-200, error -808 (key/refnum search failed)

Exit at 3/1/2009 10:16 AM[/color]

So I need some help to repair this problem. I have looked in the knowledge base but there is no listing of error -808. I am running Windows XP Professional Ver 5.1 SP2 with lots of memory remaining on my backup external device. Thanks for you help.

LewB

Thanks Robin,

I assume that rebuilding the catalogue is the same as recreating which is the terminiology listed in the help index. Is it possible (and preferable) to simply delete all the backup files on the external hard disc and start like an initial backup?

Lew

I tried the recreate catalog method first but Retrospect did not recognize the external hard drive (Iomega) that the data is on. There are 4 choices and I went through all of them to no avail. So I decided to delete the data from the Iomega disc and start anew as you indicated I could do. Now when I click backup a message comes up asking for the catalog file for the system backup. I was taken to a file that indicated it was the Retrospect catalog file but the system says that is not the one and will not proceed to the next step. Since this file was not helping and I need to start from scratch I removed it as well.....but the same problem develops and Retrospect continues to ask for a catalog file. I can go no further and need some help to get my system backed up to the Iomega hard drive. Looks like I have created a mess???

Lew

Edited by Guest

Robin,

After I posted this long last note I found information in the help section and how to create a new backup. I found the location in backup and gave a new name to the backup set and proceeded through the exercise......but at finish a new error comes up...."couldn't created new backup set..error -1101".

Lew