"Reported missing by user: 1-Backup Set".

onedbguru

"Reported missing by user: 1-Backup Set".

XP SP3+latest updates.

Retrospect 7.6-111

I am attempting to restore just one directory from "Backup Set A" and receiving the error above. I am able to do a complete restore, but not a specific file or directory. The complete restore has some file corrupted that causes BSoD on boot. That could have been due to procedures but the restore functioned.

It is maddening that the error logs do not provide enough information to figure out where it is looking to locate "1-Backup Set".

The backup is on a mapped ReadyNAS device. Again - full restore runs for 1.2 hrs successfully, but restoring a single file results in the above error. Any suggestions?

Edited by Guest

Okay. However - this thing is GUI driven and all we can do is point it to the backup set. The Backup set does not appear to be corrupt if I am able to do a complete restore.

What's missing? What specific directory does it look to find the "1-Backup Set" which contains the .rdb files? This appears to be what the error is stating - it cannot find this directory. So, where should it look for it?

I have not been successful at rebuiling the Backup Set - error is something like "cannot fix a valid backup set" (not at the office right now - going on memory).

Are you saying that the catalog can be corrupt yet perform a successful full restore, but cannot restore a file/directory? That makes absolutely no sense what so ever. The catalog is either corrupt or it is not.

When I request files for restore to a new empty location, it creates the directory structure, but fails to restore the files.

Can you please answer my question - where does it expect to find the "1-Backup Set" directory?

To answer your last question, I followed the detailed instructions in the docs (7.5 users guide page 303). None of the options worked -various failures relating to not finding what ever it is looking for...

Are you saying that the catalog can be corrupt yet perform a successful full restore, but cannot restore a file/directory? That makes absolutely no sense what so ever. The catalog is either corrupt or it is not.

As someone supporting Retrospect customers for over 14 years, that is exactly what I am saying. Restoring an entire disk does not mean you are accessing every file and folder within the backup set or catalog file. One type of restore can result in a recovery that is different from another. Performing a catalog rebuild may correct problems specifically with missing .rdb files or other corruption.

where does it expect to find the "1-Backup Set" directory?

It is different for every person depending on the destination selected when creating the backup set member.