What doesn't work if Retro 7.0 Multi-Server is installed on Win2K3 R2?

Basically, the subject line. I have a license for Retrospect 7.0.x Multi-Server, and I need to install it on a new Dell PowerEdge. The Dell comes with Windows Server 2003 R2 Web edition. I'll upgrade if I must, but I don't have a budget for the upgrade and want to see what I can do with what I have.

I know that full support for 2K3 R2 is in 7.5. But what doesn't work right, or more to the point, what problem(s) will I have using 7.0.x on this OS?

I should mention that I will be backing up to local disk, Seagate 1.0TB and 1.5TB SATA disks. The Dell is a PowerEdge R200 with a dual Xeon and 2-4GB RAM.

I had posted previously about this same question, and there was a reply that it should work, but was never tested. Is there a reader here who actually works with 7.0/2K3R2, or has worked with it, that can comment also?

Thanks in advance for your insight. -Gary

Edited by Guest
Added remark about prior posting.

EMC has never tested 7.0 on Windows 2003 R2, so the known issues are....unknown. If anything, you may get errors doing open file backup or errors trying to backup the registry.

If this is a 64 bit configuration then I would not recommend 7.0 since it was not designed to support 64 bit systems.

Thanks for the reply -- I appreciate Dantz's official position, but I was hoping to make contact with someone who's actually used the two together for production backup. Please believe me, if I had any budget at all I'd be paying for the upgrade to 7.6 but I have to give this a try first.

On the plus side, I will be using the 32bit version, and won't be using open file backup. I'll be backing up 4-5 CentOS 4 linux servers.

Thanks. -Gary

Edited by Guest
Added details of how I will be using it.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm running 7.0.326 on a W2K Domain Controller and I'm getting

Component "FSRM Reports" backup failed, error -1101 (file/directory not found)
every day. Were you getting this before you upgraded? If so, did it go away after?

I'm trying to get the money approved for an upgrade because I'm not sure that System State restore would work using this vintage of Retrospect.

Sorry -- I never saw that particular error, or anything close to it. I did get lots of-206 errors which forced me to stop using Retrospect 7.0 for a year or so, but I had similar problems with Legato Networker 6.0.x before that -- we traced it to bad SCSI cables. Took several years to figure that out though...