IBM Ultrium Autoloader 3581

We are using the above autoloader with retrospect 5 under os X. Is anyone else using this autoloader? have you experienced any problems with the autoloading of tapes. IBM has said that they don't support this drive though it is qualified by Retrospect. basically we get tapes held in the picker, and the only option is to choose eject picker from the front panel of the autoloader

Any help much appreciated.

Rob

This drive is fully qualified for use with Retrospect.

Under OS X, I've seen this problem almost exclusively when the drive is connected to an unsupported SCSI card, or to a card with a different pin configuration than the drive. It's almost always a SCSI communication problem.

On the software side, be sure that you don't have any additional drivers (ADK, RDU) loading (check your operations log). Also, update to the latest release of OS X.

Try setting the drive ID to 0, 1 or 2, and the library to 3 above that.

Check that the SCSI card is on our supported list:

Mac OS X SCSI Host Adapter Compatibility List

Beyond that, go through some OS X hardware SCSI troubleshooting. You can find full details on this in our Knowledgebase.

• 2 weeks later...

I made all the changes you suggested apart from the SCSI pin number issue, but we still have the same problems. I have not been able to do anything about our mismathced pin configuration on our card. Our SCSI card is an Adaptec 2930CU (50 pin external), and the autolaoder has a 68 pin connector. From your post and comments on the support site we would need to change our SCSI card? I notice that ATTO are qualified for OS X 10.2 do you have a suggestion as to which card we should purchase for use with the IBM 3581 autoloader. By the way we are running on a Graphite G4/400Mhz.

many thanks

Rob

ATTO cards under OS X have been great, based on customer feedback and our testing. If you are looking to get a card, check the supported card list first, and then be sure to purchase a 68-pin card. ATTO's site has a great PDF guide to their card's connections:

http://attotech.com/scsi.html

On the left hand side, click "Cable Guide(PDF)"

Thanks for the info. I am a bit ignorant when it comes to the various flavours of SCSI. Is the requirement only that ii has to to be 68 pin, ie can I use a card with a VHDCI 68 pin external connector with the HD 68 pin connector on the back of the autoloader using a suitable cable (one came with the autolader in this format)?

cheers

Rob

Archived