SQLVDI Error attempting to restore a db

Oh4Sh0

We had a server that booted off of our SAN that corrupted, and I am now trying to restore a db from that server to a newly built one. It has SQL05 SP2. When I attempt to restore the differential+full backup, I get:

Event Type: Error

Event Source: SQLVDI

Event Category: None

Event ID: 1

Date: 8/8/2008

Time: 11:12:15 PM

User: N/A

Computer: TEAMBASE-SQL

Description:

SQLVDI: Loc=IdentifySQLServer. Desc=MSSQL$TEAMBASE-SQL. ErrorCode=(1060)The specified service does not exist as an installed service.

. Process=1884. Thread=1892. Client. Instance=TEAMBASE-SQL. VD=. For more information, see Help and Support Center at

And a -1004 error/failed on the retrospect client.

Anyone know how to resolve this issue? Thanks

Edited by Guest

What does the error exactly say in the operations log?

Try restoring the database to a new name.

What happens if you just restore the full backup?

What happens if you uncheck the option to not make the database operational?

The error is coming directly from SQL. It is not a Retrospect error. Check the SQL Server logs (not the event log) for more specific errors.

The operations log says:

T-7: MapError: Unknown Windows error 3,142

Trouble writing files, error -1004 (Database Backup/Restore error)

If I try to restore just the full db, the same thing happens. Same thing happens if I change the name of the db, put it in a different location, and uncheck making the database operational. I've tried them all without luck.

The SQL Server Error logs are empty - it shows no errors. I had a second administrator double check this to make sure I wasn't crazy.

The only place the error log shows up is in the Event Viewer, and after it shows up the retrospect job fails without beginning the restore process.

If you have any other thoughts, or are willing to get on the phone with me, please let me know. The situation is becoming quite an emergency.

Thanks!

Edited by Guest

type ctrl-alt-p-p on the keyboard (hold ctrl alt and hit P twice). Go to Debug logging and turn trees and volumes to 6. This will generate a hex code like 0x000000 in the log. You can then google this error code or consult with Microsoft since that will be the actual error number reported by SQL.

SQL is reporting (not Retrospect) that your database sysft_TmbInfoSearch can not be restored over the existing database on the path E:\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\FTD... (and I can't read the rest of the path in your screenshot.)

What is actually in that path? What is the error when you ask SQL to restore to a DB with a totally new name or in a new path? Does the error look different with debug logging on?

My gut feeling is that something is wrong with how this SQL server is configured. Only Microsoft can help figure that out.

Retrospect restores the database to a virtual device (VDI) (its like a temp file) on the disk. After Retrospect writes to the temp file, SQL itself copies the data to the default path or the specified path. If this copy fails, then it is 100% SQL causing the failure. This appears to me to be your point of failure.

- 8/11/2008 3:09:36 AM: Restoring from Teambase Data A [011]

Restore type: Full

T-7: RestoreStart: id='retrospect'

T-7: TWDBSqlDatabase::execSqlRestore: sqlCmd='RESTORE DATABASE [Teambase] FROM VIRTUAL_DEVICE='dantz_retrospect_vd_TeamDB' WITH MOVE 'ae_Version6_0_dat' TO 'C:\TeamDB\Teambase.mdf', MOVE 'ae_Version6_0_log' TO 'C:\TeamDB\Teambase_log.ldf', NORECOVERY'

T-7: execSqlOdbcCommand: id='retrospect'

T-7: execSqlOdbcCommand: Error on SQLExec.

T-7: processSqlMessages: Msg 5,133, SevLevel 16, State 1, SQLState 42000

T-7: (5,133) - Directory lookup for the file "C:\TeamDB\Teambase.mdf" failed with the operating system error 2(The system cannot find the file specified.).

T-7: processSqlMessages: Msg 3,156, SevLevel 16, State 3, SQLState 42000

T-7: (3,156) - File 'ae_Version6_0_dat' cannot be restored to 'C:\TeamDB\Teambase.mdf'. Use WITH MOVE to identify a valid location for the file.

T-7: processSqlMessages: Msg 5,133, SevLevel 16, State 1, SQLState 42000

T-7: (5,133) - Directory lookup for the file "C:\TeamDB\Teambase_log.ldf" failed with the operating system error 2(The system cannot find the file specified.).

T-7: processSqlMessages: Msg 3,156, SevLevel 16, State 3, SQLState 42000

T-7: (3,156) - File 'ae_Version6_0_log' cannot be restored to 'C:\TeamDB\Teambase_log.ldf'. Use WITH MOVE to identify a valid location for the file.

T-7: processSqlMessages: Msg 3,142, SevLevel 16, State 99, SQLState 42000

T-7: (3,142) - File "sysft_TmbInfoSearch" cannot be restored over the existing "E:\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\FTData\TmbInfoSearch0000". Reissue the RESTORE statement using WITH REPLACE to overwrite pre-existing files, or WITH MOVE to identify an alternate location.

T-7: processSqlMessages: Msg 3,142, SevLevel 16, State 99, SQLState 42000

T-7: (3,142) - File "sysft_TmbBlobSearchables" cannot be restored over the existing "E:\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\FTData\TmbBlobSearchables0000". Reissue the RESTORE statement using WITH REPLACE to overwrite pre-existing files, or WITH MOVE to identify an alternate location.

T-7: processSqlMessages: Msg 3,119, SevLevel 16, State 1, SQLState 42000

T-7: (3,119) - Problems were identified while planning for the RESTORE statement. Previous messages provide details.

T-7: processSqlMessages: Msg 3,013, SevLevel 16, State 1, SQLState 42000

T-7: (3,013) - RESTORE DATABASE is terminating abnormally.

T-7: MapError: unknown Windows error 5,133

is the error log retrospect produces when I try to restore the db to a different location, and with a different name. You say something might be wrong with how SQL is configured - but this is a newly created server, with sql05 + sp2 in mixed mode and no other db's on it. Nothing the original server didn't have.

Edited by Guest

What happens if you turn off Mixed Mode (No sure if you can do this).

The errors in this log seems to be giving very specific information as reported directly by the SQL Server. Have you tried to google " RESTORE statement using WITH REPLACE to overwrite pre-existing files, or WITH MOVE to identify an alternate location." errors to see if anything helpful explains what could be happening?

What if you try to restore a default SQL database (not master).

Have you done a restore of the Master database in single user mode, that might help too.

How are you authenticating to the server? Are you using the SA account?

The only result googling that gets me is a msdn link on building Transact SQL statements.

I tried a restore of the "master" db in single user mode, that generates an instant failure (-1) message when "Restore Database" is clicked.

I have tried both methods, as SA and with a user account. Both produce the same result.

Edited by Guest