advice on - disc to disc to disc strategy

Hi,

I have seen the following backup strategy under the thread

"Long-term grooming & large backup sets " (Topic#27278) in this forum.

I need help to make the following strategy work.

1) Write to Backup Set A until Disk A fills

2) Transfer the most recent Snapshot from backup Set A into Backup Set B (B has it's own set of disks).

3) Backup Set B will contain the most recent data from A because of the transfer. Use Backup Set B for future incremental backups until the disk fills.

4) Recycle backup Set A and do a Snapshot Transfer of the most recent snapshot from backup Set B into Backup Set A

5) Start the process over again.

I am using Retrospect windows 7.5 and disk backup sets.

It is a server setup with several notebook clients.

I am interested in maintaing a weeks backup window and I am not interested in archiving.

Grooming and tapes are not options.

My first problem.

is step 4)

How can I recycle A (scheduled automatically).

I want to do a "Full synthetic backup" or snapshot transfer from B to A, to avoid doing a full from my source volumes.

The following recycle options do not work for the given reason

- A "backup recycle" requires a backup from the source clients immediaely after the recycle.

- The "Snapshot transfer" recycles the source not the destination.

Brian

Thanks MRIS and Mayoff,

I misunderstood rec.png.

I understand now how to recycle the destination.

My dream is one step closer.

Can you anyone tell me,

how I can rotate a proactive script between two different "disk backup sets" (A and B) on a biweekly or monthly basis (automatically)?

Hi,

The scheduling for Proactive scripts is not the same. I do not see how I can alternate between the destinations in a proactive script. Using A for one month and B the following month.

I see I could alternate with two scripts over one week but this is not what I want to achieve.

I am looking at the "user guide". The proactive script will choose the set based on availability and then the order listed under the destinations list.

You will need to switch from proactive scripts to regular scripts.

It's a shame that grooming is not an option for you. Is there a specific reason for this? It's almost like you're asking for which operating system we recommend and telling us that anything from Microsoft, Apple, IBM, HP, Sun or Linux is not an option...

Hi

In our case proactive scripting is required as we purchased the product to deal with notebook clients. To achieve the above strategy with proactive scripts I think I will have to introduce some manual steps in a monthly cycle.

Onless someone can point out something I am missing.

Grooming is a great technique.

We tested it and our setup seemed fine, but on two critical occassions the data was not there when required for restore. I do not blame the product, setup or myself. Simply we could not find a satisfactory explanation. Grooming is not an option because we (or our customers) have lost confidence.

I just would just like to automate a process I think that would work fine in our environment or to learn a better way.

You best bet is to have 2 proactive scripts, each configured to backup the same clients but to different backup sets. Then you can "enable" one of these scripts at a time and switch them manually. (disable one then enable the other)

This can be done at the same time that the recycle snapshot transfer is performed manually. I would imagine that the users would feel more comfortable this way because this further avoids automatic deletions (recycles).