server 2008 issue

hi

i have retrospect 7.5 508 hot fix 7.5.13.100

the platform is server 2008 with exchange 2007

i have followed the article http://kb.dantz.com/display/2/articleDirect/index.asp?aid=9633&r=0.2895929

in part 2 it says

1) Go to Configure>Preferences>Security in Retrospect and configure Retrospect to Run as a specific user.

my security settings in retrospect are greyed out and i cannot alter any infomation here?

my exchange backups are failing with ese fuction call error -1,003

anyone able to help?

When doing the login as, make sure you are using an account configured as outlined in the KB article:

Account must be

1) Domain Users

2) Domain Administrators

3) Backup Operators

4) Local Admins if Retrospect is running local to the Exchange Server

5) Do NOT include any other groups

-The account must have a mailbox.

-The account can NOT be hidden from the Global Address List or GAL.

-You must send at least one email to the mailbox to initialize the mailbox.

Account must be

1) Domain Users - done

2) Domain Administrators - done

3) Backup Operators -done

4) Local Admins if Retrospect is running local to the Exchange Server - no local admin account available as server2008 system is also a DC

5) Do NOT include any other groups - done

-The account must have a mailbox. -done

-The account can NOT be hidden from the Global Address List or GAL. - done

-You must send at least one email to the mailbox to initialize the mailbox. - done

sadly still no joy.

ok i tried this and didnt help :(

also any idea why the preferences>security settings are all greyed out?

maybe that has a bearing?

also is anyone out thier that actualy has retrospect working on a server2008 DC with exchange 2007?

thanks for you time helping me so far :)

Windows 2008 works just like Vista. This is the Vista info from the read me:

Retrospect Backup User (RBU): The RBU is not supported on Windows Vista and you must run as the logged in user.

Basically all of the Vista limitations apply to 2008 Server.

We will investigate this problem internally. I am already checking with engineering.

Retrospect running on a 2008 server will have a couple of requirements for either exchange or SQL

1) You must be logged into Windows during the backup

2) You must be logged in to Windows using the RBU account created with the required set of RBU permissions.

The other option is to install the Retrospect Client software on the 2008 server running Exchange/SQL and then install Retrospect on any other computer running XP, 2000 or 2003.

About wylie's specific issue. If you have configured the RBU account correctly, then the problem is not something we would expect. I need to view a debug log of your authentication attempt to know more.

1) Type ctrl-alt-p-p on the keyboard (hold ctrl/alt and hit P twice). Under Debug logging, set trees and volumes logging to 6.

2) Quit and relaunch Retrospect

3) Unlicense Exchange from Configure>Volumes

4) Go to Configure>Volumes and License Exchange. Try to Login as currently logged in user

Assuming you get an authentication failure, please email me the operations_log.utx file to emcinsignia_forums@emc.com

Check the WIndows Event Logs for authentication failures also.

Make sure your exchange server is not in a cluster environment. That is not supported.

You can also try to backup the exchange server as a client instead of running Retrospect local to the computer.

once again thankyou for you time here.

i have no access to my email so i will post the part of the log i think is relevent here.

+ Retrospect version 7.5.508

Launched at 03/04/2008 17:22

+ Driver Update and Hot Fix, version 7.5.13.100

Failure to initialize MAPI, Result 0xffffffff, HR 0x80004005.

Failure to initialize MAPI, Result 0xffffffff, HR 0x80004005.

TMapiManager::Reinitialize: Creating new MAPI session.

CreateProfileAndSession: failure in MAPIAdminProfiles, win error = 0x80004005.

TMapiConnection::TMapiConnection: Unable to use profile, win error 0x80004005

TMapiManager::Reinitialize: couldn't intialize mailboxes due to a prior error.

CreateProfileAndSession: failure in MAPIAdminProfiles, win error = 0x80004005.

TMBVolEnum::StartEnum: MBReinitialize failed error -3420 (unknown).

now i did already install the exchange-mapi/cdo file from microsoft, although im wondering if this is a server2003 OS fix?

also i am now wondering if it is possible to log off the server and still run scheduled backups? (seen as it appears i have to be logged in for retrospect to run)

if this is the case i dont know if it is pratical - do you know if this is going to be altered for server2008 users?

thanks again.

wylie

Edited by Guest

also i am now wondering if it is possible to log off the server and still run scheduled backups

You will not be able to logout of the server. This is a limitation of running Retrospect to backup an exchange server while running under 2008 server.

You would not have this problem if you backed up the Exchange/2008 server as a client, with Retrospect installed on XP, 2003, or 2000.

The error 0x80004005 is coming directly from exchange when Retrospect tries to initiate a MAPI session. Have you restarted the server since installing MAPI? 2003 already includes MAPI, but 2007 requires the user install it themselves.

What about the Windows Event logs? It should show some MAPI errors or authentication errors.

• 1 month later...

Hello Robin,

I just installed the beta but we still have some trouble with backing up the mailboxes.

The configuration:

Server 1

Windows 2008

Retrospect 7.5.516

Server 2

Windows 2008

Retrospect Client 7.5.116

Exchange 2007 SP1

MAPI Client and Collaboration Data Objects 1.2.1

We created the RBU-account which is member of "Administrators", "Backup Operators", "Domain Admins" and "Domain Users". The user is visible in the address list and the mailbox can be accessed both by MAPI and by OWA.

All operations are done on a console on Server 1 running with the RBU-account.

We can connect to the Exchange Server and make backups of the storage group. But if we try to connect to the Exchange mailboxes with this user, the user is not accepted ("Sorry, authentication failed. Please retry"). The error logs on both servers don't give any information about a failed event.

Philipp

Did you do this:

Retrospect requires components in the Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package (x64) be installed on the machine running Exchange Server 2007 in order to successfully back up the server. To install these components select the "Install Exchange Server 2007 Support" button in the Retrospect application installer. For more information, please see the Microsoft web site.

Hello Robin,

thanks for your reply.

Try logging into Server #1 computer using the RBU account.
Well, that's actually what we do with Remote Desktop. Or do you mean a console logon?

What happens if you install Retrospect directly on Server #2, do you get the same error?
I'm trying to check this tomorrow. Can I use our license key a second time for that?

Did you do this:

Retrospect requires components in the Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package (x64) ...

Yes, the package is installed on all servers.

Philipp