Error -3712 on First Storage Group Incremental

I have recently been reviewing how I had our Retrospect set up and have changed my method of backing up our Exchange server.

I am backing up the First Storage Group as well as individual mailboxes every Friday night using a Full backup.

Then every other night I have a script to run a Differential on the same sources.

Both of these scripts are set to go to the same destination Backup Set on a TeraStation Pro NAS.

Everything works EXCEPT for the differencial of the First Storage Group. It is giving me the following error:

Backup type: Differential

T-10: >>>HrESEBackupSetup(0c8000230) -- The database missed a previous full backup before the incremental backup.

Trouble reading files, error -3712 (The database missed a previous full backup before the incremental backup)

All of the remaining individual mailboxes backup just fine in the differencial script.

We are on Multi Server v7.5.508 and the exchange server has client version 7.5.116

Any suggestions???

Thanks,

J. Clay

What version of exchange is this?

Does the Report>Database Backup History show the full backup for this database?

I think the error is coming from Exchange, but I am not sure. Any errors in the Windows Event Log on the Exchange server for this backup attempt? Does the Exchange Server's Event log report a full backup taking place?

Robin - Thanks for the quick reply.

Exchange 2003

The report shows the backup completed successfully.

The Exchange Server's Event log looks like it completes OK, backs up the log files and deletes them.

Found something interesting in the Event Viewer on the Exchange server...At the time the Full B/U on the 1st storage group completed and Retrospect reports that it completed fully, there is an event in the Exchange server event log from ESE, but, I think it is related to the first individual mail box that is being backed up. This particular mail box is our biggest and is used as a shared mailbox by 3 different Mac users via IMAP. When that mailbox gets backed up it shows that there are some corrupted files that can't be read in them. This is the event log entry:

------------------

Information Store (5744) First Storage Group: The backup has been stopped because it was halted by the client or the connection with the client failed.

-------------------

There are are severel more mailboxes backed up after that. But that is the last entry in the Event viewer until there is an Exchange Maintenance task run in the early AM.

Information Store (5744) First Storage Group: The backup has been stopped because it was halted by the client or the connection with the client failed.

I don't think this is for the mailbox. I think this is for the 1st storage group. You can try an immediate full backup of the storage group and check for new error reports.

If the log show a successful backup but you get this error from windows, then something goofy is going on. It looks like Retrospect thinks the backup is done, but exchange thinks it stopped early.

Looks like you are right.

I thought of that also and tried it yesterday afternoon.

Retrospect shows that it completed without any, but the following error was in the Exchange server event log at the time of completion:

--------------------

Event Type: Error

Event Source: ESE

Event Category: Logging/Recovery

Event ID: 215

Description:

------------------

And, the incremental later on in the evening gave the same -3712 error.

Any ideas???

Thanks,

Jim

I'll have to do some looking deeper into this. The link doesn't have the (5744) issue in it, but it does look like I have been having this issue for a while and didn't realize it. I turned some additional logging on, so hopefully that will help find the issue.

Thanks - Jim