Retrospect window text invisible

I have Retrospect SBS 7.5 with all updates installed running on SBS 2003 R2.

When I start Retrospect from the Start Menu it tries to open but the window is never fully populated with text and graphics. There are no text or dialog boxes visible, but everything is there (if I click in the right place something happens.) The Windows desktop shows through "holes" in the Retrospect menu, and the whole thing is sort of "greyed out".

Also if I right-click on the Retropect button in the task bar nothing happens (no menu of options is presented) as opposed to the normal action for most running programs.

I can get Retropect to close by double clicking the red icon in the upper left corner of the partially opened window.

The server has not been booted for more than a month. Retrospect scheduled scripts run correctly (I can tell because of the email it is sending out.)

Any suggestions for bringing the Retrospect window back to life would be appreciated.

Terry

Thanks for the reply.

Actually the other threads don't really match my problem. I an not running 64 bit Windows. I am running 32 bit Windows XP Pro. I am not having a problem with Retrospect Crashing. The program appears to execute the backup jobs I just cannot see what is happening.

When a scheduled backup job launches, Retrospect launches in windowed mode. The Main window is the same size it was when the application was last closed. The windows never completely render to the screen. I can see the outlines for each section, but I cannot see any text. I can see the out line for the activity dialog but cannot see any text. Furthermore, when I right click the programs button in the task bar, I can see the outline for the menu, but I cannot see any of the choices on the menu.

While I cannot see any Menus, Toolbars, Buttons, Text Boxes and so forth. They will all respond to mouse clicks as if they were fully visible.

This behavior only occurs with scheduled jobs.

Thanks for responding.

This problem may have been covered in other threads, but it seems to me that neither of the two links you provided have anything to do with it.

I am running SBS 32-bit SBS, not 64-bit.

Could you please be more specific on what threads and what the appropriate search criteria might be? It would be even more helpful to just explain how to fix the problem.

Thanks in advance,

Terry

Today I rebooted my server and now Retrospect is working normally: the menus and text are completely visible.

Evidently this was caused by some Windows problem that was only affecting Retrospect as all other menus I tested were working normally.

:rollie:

Edited by Guest

I too have posted a few times about this issue. No one seems to know what the issue is and it's happening to a lot of our customers and it's getting very annoying now!

The suggestion that it's to do with 64bit OS is not true. It happens on 32bit too.

Restarting the machine will fix the problem as that restarts the retrorun.exe service, which if you stop that service manually you will be able to get back into Retrospect. But i'm very very sure you will have this problem again soon.

Do you have any AV software running? I'm thinking that may be that is causing it? I'm testing a few things at the moment to with the AV software running. If i find anything i will post back. Any other info would be great!