Having Problems With Exchange Agent

I've been doing mailbox backups for about a week now, and dealing with the errors and warnings to test how it works in my environment. In my testing, new mailboxes added to Exchange are not automatically backed up; they remain unhighlighted in the volume tab of the client config. Deleted users never disappeared from the volume list (even after the mailbox was purged).

Deleted/purged mailboxes received this error:

- [Date & Time] Copying [Deleted/Purged Mailbox Name] on [Exchange Server Name]

Scanning incomplete, error -3405 (unknown)

Disabled users mailboxes received this error:

- [Date & Time] Copying [Disabled Users Mailbox Name] on [Exchange Server Name]

Retrospect error code error -3407 (unexpected provider error)

Reported by function kMsg_DirScan

Mailbox provider error. There is a problem connecting to the mailbox. Check:

1. Microsoft Exchange may not be running.

2. The mailbox may not exist. If the mailbox has been deleted, this is normal.

3. The mailbox store for this mailbox may not be mounted.

Check its status in the Exchange manager.

Scanning incomplete, error -3407 (unexpected provider error)

Various other active mailboxes receive warnings similar to this one below, and I am unable to locate the items based on the given name, and so I am unable to correct the problem:

- [Date & Time] Copying [Mailbox Name] on [Exchange Server Name]

File "[Mailbox Name]\[Folder]\00000000e16894cfd668d611847100e018c522d807005da790251f0fd511845000e018c522d80000003bf07600005da790251f0fd511845000e018c522d800000097d1b70000": can't read, error -3420 (unknown)

• 8 months later...

From the forum rules:

This forum is a community based self help tool for users of the Retrospect Backup Software and other EMC Insignia Products. This is a Public Forum. It is indexed by Google and other search engines. Do not include private information in your user profile or posts that you do not want indexed by a search engine.

While this forum is monitored by members of the EMC Technical Support team, it is not possible to reply to all questions and threads. This forum is not an official method for contacting technical support. EMC employees are under no obligation to reply to individual forum posts. If you need immediate technical support, you can contact technical support directly at http://www.emcinsignia.com/contactsupport

http://kb.dantz.com/article.asp?article=9645&p=2

As far as the deleted mailboxes, we have been able to handle deleted mailboxes much better in version 7.6 for local exchange server backups. We have not yet been able to implement changes to how deleted mailboxes are handled on Exchange Client systems.

Retrospect now supports for the Recovery Storage Group. If you configure the server to use the recovery storage group you don't need to do mailbox level backups. You would be able to restore your database to the RSG and extract mailbox level data and move it to the active storage group.

http://kb.dantz.com/article.asp?article=5202&p=2

I appreciate your suggestion about the recovery storage group Robin. However, the reason I am doing mailbox backups is because I have a public folder that is too large to be backed up and needs to be eliminated from the backup. The only way to do this is to deny the retrospect account access to that public folder, and do a mailbox backup. If you are really the Senior Manager of Worldwide Technical Support, then I urge you to please push the development team to at least fix these bugs that have been hampering users from doing rotating off-site backups and mailbox backups. I've spoken to someone from tech support before. He was condescending and insisted there was nothing wrong with retrospect. If I can't get help from the forums, and I can't get help from tech support, why am I paying such an enormous amount of money for yearly support?