Express HD 2.0 can't see WD Mybook on Vista

jacobsys

I have installed a WD MyBook world edition on my network. It came supplied with Retrospect Express HD software. I have upgraded Retrospect Express HD to version 2.0214 which has Vista support.

The drive has been mapped to a drive letter using the supplied vista-compatible Mionet software. (This also lets me access the drive remotely over the internet).

When I go into setup, the drive is not listed as a place to backup to nor a place to backup from. The copy function of Retrospect does not detect the drive either. Although, it is accessible from lots of other software.

Does anyone have an idea what the problem is? Is there a Vista setting that must be changed?

WD support has not been very helpful resolving this problem, so I thought I would try here.

I just tried logging into the drive directly and assigning a drive letter, but that didn't seem to help either. The mionet sofware runs on my PC as well as on the drive.

I'm not sure about the admin rights. The security tab shows special permissions.

I am logging into the drive with full access to all shares, but retrospect writes to a folder that is outside the shares. If that makes any sense.

• 1 month later...

I had the same experience. They seemed to indicate that other people were able to use Retrspect Express HD on Vista to access the drive and I was the only one having the problem. They basically gave up and said they would send me a different backup, but I haven't heard from them since. They marked my problem solved, so I finally reposted it a few weeks ago, but I haven't heard anything back.

Does the Vista backup work to your drive? Mine doesn't. Norton 360 does, but I am not in love with the way it works.

I am having the same experience. They are going to get back to me with another software. This all happened Friday and they would not get back to me until the first of this coming week.

Retrospect Express HD just does not see the network or anything on it.

John

Go to Control Panel and click on Windows Firewall. Click Change settings and then the Exceptions tab and make sure that Retrospect Express HD and Mionet are shown and checked. Mionet needs several exceptions, so if you don't see any go to their website and you'll find the three files that should be listed as exceptions. I also had a problem with my Vista computer restricting access to some Mybookworld files. Disabling Windows Defender's real-time protection solved that problem. Good luck. - Dave

Thank you very much for your help. You are the only one to offer help. WD has not come up with anything yet.

i tried what you suggested and added any program modules that might be related. I am using Norton IES for my firewall. But ihave allowed these files in its configuration too.

Well, it still does not work. Retrospect Express HD does not see the network and there is no way to configure it. Vista can see it.

Thanks for helping.

John

John - You might also try completely disabling Norton IES, and see if that helps. There are so many filters in that program that it's easy to miss a setting. I struggled with IES, but could never get it to allow my network (laptop running XP and desktop running Vista Home Premium) to work correctly. Good luck. - Dave

Tried that. No good. Uninstalled Mionet and RE HD and reinstalled. No good.

I have not troble communicating with my XP laptop over the LAN.

I can seen the Mybookworld from Windows explorer but I tried the Windows backup routine and could not get it to work. Passwords and logins are required and they are not the same as the ones I set up with mionet. Can'y figure out which to use.

It has been a week now since WD said they'd refer to their engineers and might give me another backup software, But they are no forthcoming.

So far I have an expensive paper weight on my desk and can't do what I bought it to do.

Thanks for your help.

john

Issue:

The program 'MioNet.exe' (a java program) must run with admin authority.

To resolve on Vista:

1) Start Task Manager and find the 'MioNet.exe' entry on the Processes tab.

2) Right-click on 'MioNet.exe' and select 'Open File Location'. The 'MioNet.exe' program will be selected in the directory path 'C:\Program Files\MioNet\jvm\bin'.

3) Right-click on the file 'MioNet.exe' and choose 'Run as administrator'. Choose 'Allow' in the resulting confirmation dialogue.

Vista *should* automatically restart the 'MioNet.exe' program with the new authority applied. If not, stop and restart MioNet.

I've used this to resolve this problem on two Vista machines -- I hope it works for you!

Thank you so much. This worked! I was able to backup using retrospect express. But it did introduce a minor annoyance. If I open the drive via the open button in Mionet it appears with a drive letter. But if I open windows explorer the drive letter is not assigned nor can I map to the entire drive.

Now I have an entriely separate issue which belongs on a different message board, but has anyone been able to do a complete backup to this drive using the Vista backup?

John - This program can be a challenge, and some of us are learning some unusual workarounds. I discovered that when I typed the "admin" and "123456" codes, if I used the keyboard Enter button after typing the password, it wouldn't take. If, however, I typed the password and then used the mouse to click the log-in button, it did work. Computers!!!!

This sure is a problem. I got Express to recognize the network MyBook but could not get the passwords to work.

Saw the FAQ on WD about resetting the drive which I did, now nothing works. The admin and 123456 are the factory default setting for the drive but I am not sure how to use things.

I think I'll have to start all over. This program is not worth all the hours I have put into it. Too many Usenames and password called for and no easy way to tell which is needed at what time.

Thanks for your help. It is more than what I got from WD.

John

Here's a more comprehensive list of things Vista users can check...

1) Mionet.exe is an unsigned java program, so you have to manually add "run as admin" authority to the executable. You may also have to do this for MioNetLauncher.exe.

2) The mybookworld device MUST BE setup **Dynamic DHCP** on your network. If you assign it a static IP, it will work for a short time and then disappear. The rest of your stuff on your network can be static, but mybookworld must always acquire his address dynamically. If it's not showing up at all, try restarting your router.

3) Make sure only one instance of mionet.exe is running. Use the Processes tab of Task Manager to check this.

4) Check Windows firewall and your other security tools (McAfee, Norton, Windows Defender) and make sure Java and MioNet are not being blocked.

5) Don't map the drive manually -- mionet has to manage this for you. After starting your PC and the NAS, give the device and mionet about 5 minutes to find it's bearings on your network (I know this seems dumb, but it works).

6) Use the "Backup Info" toolbar button on the mionet user interface to get your ID and Password for accessing the protected share on the device via windows explorer.

7) The device configuration manager on the device can be accessed at "http://mybookworld/". The default logon is "username: admin, and password: 123456". The "WD Anywhere Access settings" must show "Current Status: Active" or "Current Status: Active NAS2.3.9.0" so that mionet (on your PC) can communicate with mybookworld.

8) If the drive can be seen on your network (and you can ping it ok), but mionet still shows it as offline, try waking it up by using mionet's menu bar -- File > Manage MyBookWorld > Open. You may need to log in with your "Backup Info" id and password (you don't need the "MYBOOKWORLD\" part of your id to login here). Get comfortable with this step, you may use it often -- and be patient -- give it a few seconds to wake up.

9) If it still isn't working, send it back. You may or may not have success with a new one.

Other notes:

You probably won't be able to use "Windows Backup and Restore" to make backups (at least I've not seen it work). You can probably get the EMC Retrospect software to work ok for backing up (a full restore is a different issue for a different board). You should be able to use TrueImage or NeroBackItUp successfully.

That is a lot to digest. I'll give your suggestions a try. I am trying to start over from the beginning. Resetting the drive and reinstalling the Mionet and Espress.

The drive seemed like a good idea and a newtowrk storage drive would be good, but so far I have spent way too much time and WFD has not been ver forth coming.

Thanks for the ideas. I'll given them a try.

john

Well, I got Expres o see the WD Drive. I went thru the Mionet directory and for every program with an .exe name, I changed properties to run as administrator and gave everyone access.

Still have not made a usable backup that I can retore from.

Also, WD got back to me and agreed to another program it his does not work.

We'll see. This is taking many hours I do not have.

Thanks for your input.

John