File Creation Error Writing ISO

abradaxis

Can anyone explain why I might be getting the same file creation errors (about six files) while writing my ISO File during Disater Recovery using Retrospect Professional (lastest version) under WinXP Pro? Even after doing multiple backups the samer errors appear. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Quote:

Can anyone explain why I might be getting the same file creation errors (about six files)

What errors are these? You didn't tell us.

Can you provide us with the specific errors you are seeing? What does the log say? It would be impossible to offer a suggestion without more details.

Sorry. I listed them in an earlier post, but no one responded. The text of the earlier post appears below. No matter how many times I create the backup set, the errors are always the same in the DR process. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

While preparing the ISO File for DR under Retrospect Professional 7.5.387 Retrospect abnormally terminates the ISO preparation with the errors:

File "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Retrospect\RtrExec.dir\Exec\State\atl.dll": cannot write, error -1132 (file creation error on destination volume)

File "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Retrospect\RtrExec.dir\Exec\State\mfc42.dll": cannot write, error -1132 (file creation error on destination volume)

File "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Retrospect\RtrExec.dir\Exec\State\mfc42u.dll": cannot write, error -1132 (file creation error on destination volume)

File "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Retrospect\RtrExec.dir\Exec\State\msvcp60.dll": cannot write, error -1132 (file creation error on destination volume)

File "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Retrospect\RtrExec.dir\Exec\State\comctl32.dll": cannot write, error -1132 (file creation error on destination volume)

The same errors are repeated now matter how many times I run the DR, even after running a full backup for the second time. I changed the Windows XP media from the cd to the dvd drive, with the same error results. This is the first time this has happened in many Backups/DR reovery efforts. Thanks.

I386 Folder copied to hard drive, RtrExec.dir folder erased from hard drive before starting to build the ISO file, this time the ISO build finished, but with errors (log file copied below): I don't trust the integrity of any resulting DR CD produced. HELP!!! Thanks.

+ Retrospect version 7.5.387

Launched at 12/4/2007 7:36 PM

+ Driver Update and Hot Fix, version 7.5.13.100

+ Executing Prepare for Disaster Recovery at 12/4/2007 7:37 PM

From Backup Set Backup as of 12-3-07, Snapshot BOOTDISK: (C:) 12/3/2007 5:37 PM

To CD-ROM image file Restore BOOTDISK_2.iso...

File "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Retrospect\RtrExec.dir\Exec\State\atl.dll": cannot write, error -1132 (file creation error on destination volume)

File "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Retrospect\RtrExec.dir\Exec\State\mfc42.dll": cannot write, error -1132 (file creation error on destination volume)

File "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Retrospect\RtrExec.dir\Exec\State\mfc42u.dll": cannot write, error -1132 (file creation error on destination volume)

File "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Retrospect\RtrExec.dir\Exec\State\msvcp60.dll": cannot write, error -1132 (file creation error on destination volume)

File "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Retrospect\RtrExec.dir\Exec\State\comctl32.dll": cannot write, error -1132 (file creation error on destination volume)

12/4/2007 7:43:48 PM: 5 execution errors

Sorry for the delay, but I was away on business. The integrity of the disk has been checked out with Chkdisk, Disk Cleanup, and Disk Defragger, all with no errors reported. As far as the event log is concerned, do you mean Application Log, Security Log, or Sysem Log. I can tell you that there is a boatload of information in these logs, including error messages with routines that I can'd decipher. However, there is no "red flag" that I can spot. Please tell me what it is I am looking for, or how I can impart the information you want? Thanks.

Thanks for your prompt response, I know you are busy. It is XP SP2, but the I386 Folder is from my distribution CD, copied onto the hard drive as suggested. This is what I have always used, although I don't have any idea if that would have produced a viable DR CD. I'm sorry to admit it, but I don't know how to slipstream the latest service pack into the I386 folder. I thought the DR process required the original I386 folder, although I can certainly understand why the latest SP would be necessary if the version upgrade modifies the I386 folder. If you can advise me how one can upgrade the I386 folder with the latest Service Pack (or Hotfixes, if necessary), I can certainly perform this function. Thank you again for your support.

Yes, you must use an i386 folder that contains the service pack you have on the currently installed system, otherwise the actual restore of the OS will fail.

It is best to get a Microsoft certified XP SP2 CD. The following doc may help with the Slipstreaming if needed http://kb.dantz.com/article.asp?article=7988&p=2

If the problem still happens after using the XP SP2 i386, then you will want to check the exec\state folder for the files seen in the error message. They may have already been copied to the folder, if this is the case....then your ISO should be safe to burn and use.

This is exactly the same problem I am having, which posted about on 11/30 (post #10429), and I'm using the i386 folder from my XP SP2 installation CD. The problem was also posted about in August and September (posts ##99005 and 99024) - a number of people were experiencing it and were unable to create recovery disks. It was, as best I can tell, "officially" reported as a bug, but I can find nothing further about it.

I wonder how widespread the problem is - is there anyone out there who is currently successfully creating ISO images with SP2 and the current updated version of Retrospect Professional? In any event, I've been unable to find a solution, and no one responded to my post with any additional information, so I've just about given up...

As I said in my earlier post:

If the problem still happens after using the XP SP2 i386, then you will want to check the exec\state folder for the files seen in the error message. They may have already been copied to the folder, if this is the case....then your ISO should be safe to burn and use.

After receiving the post advising me to obtain an i386 folder from a current SP/2 version of Windows, I contacted Microsoft, who sold me an SP2 Disk (their nomenclature) which was alleged to have a verson of I386 at the SP2 level. Their charge was nominal (only $3.50), but when the disk arrived, it did NOT contain an I/386 folder. When I recontacted them they informed me that I really needed an XP SP2 Installation Disk (???), not an SP 2 Disk!! The charge for this disk is an additional $28.50. However, after reading about the previously posted problems with DR and the I386 folder, I do not believe that even purhchasing this additional disk will solve the problem. I can't understand how the majority of users who have updated to XP SP2, and who still have their original Windows installation disks, have managed to get by without purchasing new media! Certainly their I386 folders have not been updated. So are all their Disaster Recovery disks bad? And why does the error message I reported contain file creation errors, as opposed to Retrospect just not reporting the files missing?

I think I'll also give up at this point, and try to perform a recovery, when the time comes, without a Disaster Recovery Disk. This whole effort, from my initial post to the present time, has been a great waste of time and a real disappointment.