I've been using Retrospect xpress for about 8 months now with no problems. Then my firewire drive crashes, I replace it and I get an error message everytime i try to do a backup " Can't add that much data to backup set." It says it's limited to 2 gig. How do I fix this? I understand that there is a 1000 gig limit. I'm using a G4 with os 9, 1.2 gigs of ram, 72 gig firewire, 30 gig hardrive.

thanks !!!

Randy P.

• 8 months later...

I'm using an Iomega external 40gb USB 2.0 drive for back-ups. This problem keeps recurring. We start over and it works fine for awhile and then for no reason that I can discern, Retrospect Express 5.0 under OS 9.2 seems to think the external drive is using the OS standard file structure and we get a message saying we can't add to the back-up because it would exceed the 2 GB limit. We obviously haven't reformatted the disk between back-ups. Anyone have any idea what might be going on?

Thanks.

Thank you for your prompt reply. I realize that disk formats don't change without some direct intervention. This is why we are puzzled about having no trouble with automatic backups to the same file set for a couple of weeks and then suddenly getting a message that tells us we can't add to the set because it would exceed 2 GB. We reformatted the disk once, or at least we thought we did under Mac OS 9.2. Do you know by what means you can tell if the disk is formatted using the extended file system?

Thank you again for your help.

Highlight the drive on your desktop and use Cmd-I (Get Info). This will tell you whether the drive is formatted as Macintosh Standard or Macintosh Extended. If anything but Macintosh Extended is listed, you will need to reformat the drive using either the software that came with it or Drive Setup (found in Applications > Utilities).