5.0, Mac OS X and SCSI

Hello Everyone!

I found out the hard way that the popular Adaptec SCSI card AHA-2940u2 is not compatible with Retrospect 5.0 and Mac OS X. The symptoms I encountered were the same as those described by others in this forum.

Based on a recommendation from APS (we have an APS AIT2 tape backup unit using the Sony SDX-500c drive) and Adaptec, we purchased the PowerDomain 39160. I received the card this morning but found that one bit of information was missing. It is indeed a 68-pin SCSI card but it's High Density as opposed to the Very High Density ports on the card. So I cussed up a storm and now need to find a 68-pin HD to 68-pin VHD cable.

My question are: has anyone else encountered this issue? Is use of a 68-pin HD to 68-pin VHD cable OK.

Also, there is another Adaptec card out there, the 29160, which I've seen mixed reports on whether or not it really works with Retrospect. Anyone have experience with this card and Retrospect 5.0?

Thanks for any help anyone can supply!

Roger

The pin configuration is what matters, so 68-pin to 68-pin should be just fine, regardless of HD/VHD.

The 29160 card is NOT supported under OS X for Retrospect backup, so you'll want to stick with the 39160 card that you have. One note for this card: it's recommended that you revert to the original Apple drivers instead of using the updated Adaptec drivers. Details are in our Knowledgebase at:

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=knowledgebase_article&id=852

Irena Solomon

Dantz Tech Support

• 1 month later...

I can't seem to find the articles you are referring to regarding restoring Apple's original drivers.

Here is my issue.

I have been using Retrospect since v3.0 in April of 1994. I have had no problems until I switched to OS-X and upgraded to V5.0. I have a G4 with Retrospect v 5.0, a DDS4 Dat drive with a Sony sdt-10000 mechanism. I am running OS 10.1.5. I have been killing myself to get a decent backup. I can't afford to go buy a new SCSI card. is there anyway to get this system working? the first thing I would like to try (After all the other things I have tried), is to put back the original Apple SCSI Drivers but I have no idea how to remove the adaptec stuff and get the apple drivers back.

What would be nicest is if someone has a way for me to get my OS-X, Dat Drive, 39160 board, and Retrospect v5.0 all working together like nice friends.

Please help????

I will try to check this forum, could you please send responses to

KShapiro@aol.com

Thanks.

//**************

/*

Some of the sample errors I get are as follows:

Bad backup set header found (0x438b21d8 at 1,158,630).

Backup set format inconsistency (7 at 1159899)

File “ip37.htm”: miscompare at data offset 77, path: “Internal HD1/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/French.lproj/iPod Help/pgs/ip37.htm”.

Can't read file “vseparatorline.tiff”, error -39 (unexpected end of file), path: “Internal HD1/Applications/Preview.app/Contents/Resources/no.lproj/ImagePDFDoc.nib/vseparatorline.tiff”.

8/27/2002 8:59:36 AM: Execution stopped by operator.

Remaining: 71166 files, 12.2 GB

Completed: 51690 files, 1.5 GB

Performance: 67.3 MB/minute (110.6 copy, 14.3 compare)

Duration: 13:44:33 (09:55:33 idle/loading/preparing)

*/

//************

Here is the correct link:

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=kbase&ACTION=KBASE&id=27303

If for some reason this link does not work, you can always find the article yourself by searching the Knowledgebase for "39160."

In every experience that we've seen so far, following these few steps *has* made this hardware combination work together.

Hi,

I think I managed to get it to work. Though my simple test doesn't prove the actual progress or a large backup. I guess I will trust it for now, during my initial cautious phase.

However, there was something in the instructions that bothered me.

It stated that I could do all of this from the terminal program. So I started it up, then went into root user with the following

su root

passwordhere

Then I changed directory "cd" to the system/library/extensions directory. for the life of me I couldn't delete the file. It kept telling me that it was a directory. Do I tried the remove directory command. It still wouldn't work for me.

I also couldn't figure out the the "cp" command to copy from my OSX CD.

I ended up having to logout and then in as root. Then I could just delete the file via the finder Drag & Drop, and then drag the new file (or directory if it really is one) over.

BTW: I did try to use chmod to set all the access rights so that anyone could touch the file to see if I could then delete the file/directory. I actuall could "cd" into the file, and it did have other items in it, but I then couldn't remove those.

So the questions then are:

1) Why/What kind of directory is that ".kext" file?

2) Why couldn't I "rm" the file or remove directory the file/directory. (I couldn't seem to get the files inside of it deleted.

3) What would have been the correct command line commands to actually do what I was trying to do?

Thanks.

Archived