Unknown error 240 -1001

PEMCO1

Does anyone know if any DANTZ personal are reading/moderating these forums? I have not seen any evidence to believe they are!!

We’ve had an intermittent error for some time now. Previously, (when call to tech support were free for registered users) I did call RE this problem and they had me move the catalog files to a C: root directory. Well it is still failing. Highly intermitten; about once every 3-4 weeks.

The failure is the backup script starts and it hangs with an error msg: “MapError: UnknownWindows error 240. Tvol:GetInfo: UgetVolumeInformation failed G:\, winerror 240, error –1001.”

For weeks on end the backup script runs OK. Then out of the blue it fails. We use a different tape each night for complete system backup and keep a daily activity log showing the tape and status . No pattern to the tape, the day or the script.

I have searched their Knowledge base and find “Error -1001 (unknown Windows OS error) This error can happen if Retrospect encounters a problem reading a file from the source volume. Run a complete "Scan Disk" on the source volume to se...

This error can happen if Retrospect encounters a problem reading a file from the source volume. Run a complete "Scan Disk" on the source volume to see if any disk problems are detected.

Retrospect is the latest version, running on the NT server (at the latest SP). The backup is set to run daily at 10PM. There is very little activity, if any, the time of night. I feel if it can run maybe 15 times error free, then fail the next time, it must be something in the Retrospect software that is not handling some interrupt or I/O msg correctly, or missing a response due to timing etc..

Any thoughts?

PEMCO Int’l Admin

If you try and run the backup again just after receiving the error, do you get the same error? If you quit and relaunch Retrospect and try the backup, do you get the error? If you go to the catalog file and double-click it (to "remind" Retrospect of where it is) does the error reproduce?

Are you saving this to a local drive? The error that's being reported is returned by Windown and then in turn reported to you by Retrospect.

Irena Solomon

Dantz Tech Support