Error -1103 after Windows 10 April Update

hevanw

That's very good info Scillonian.

In my case, it turns out that no-one is actually using oneDrive as intended, so I have taken the "sledgehammer" approach ... "uninstalled" OneDrive and deleted all OneDrive directories.

Problem solved. :lol:

I can always re-install OneDrive later and implement a more elegant solution down the track. :)

Lucky_Phil,

According to Microsoft you can't uninstall One Drive in Windows 10, but you can turn it off, disable and hide it.  I'm assuming that you're not using W10, but other people might be confused by your advice.

FYI,

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/turn-off-disable-or-uninstall-onedrive-f32a17ce-3336-40fe-9c38-6efb09f944b0?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

If that link doesn't work, Google the subject.

1 hour ago, mbennett said:

Lucky_Phil,

According to Microsoft you can't uninstall One Drive in Windows 10, but you can turn it off, disable and hide it.  I'm assuming that you're not using W10, but other people might be confused by your advice.

FYI,

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/turn-off-disable-or-uninstall-onedrive-f32a17ce-3336-40fe-9c38-6efb09f944b0?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

If that link doesn't work, Google the subject.

In Windows 10 Home, I unlinked the account, turned off OneDrive and in Add / Remove programs, uninstalled it.

That allowed me to then delete the OneDrive directories.

True, the OneDrive folders returned later as visible in Windows Explorer ... but the issue with the directory is gone.

Wonders never cease. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Scillonian said:
  • If the last character of the mode string is a "l" (lowercase L) then the Onedrive folder is a Reparse Point

Even if exclude folder(s) and/or file(s) in a selector they are still scanned.

Thanks! I can confirm that OneDrive is a real folder, not a reparse point (tried both your methods). However, your second method does not yield 'File Not Found' but a bunch of other folders under my homedir: Application Data, Cookies, Local Settings, etc.... which all show up as <JUNCTION>.

Also, I'm the only user on this specific machine so I'm certain there are no other OneDrive folders.

I'll give Lucky_Phil's approach a try though.

5 hours ago, hevanw said:

I'll give Lucky_Phil's approach a try though.

Excited to report that I got my Retrospect backups fixed now as well !!

So, disabling the "Save space and download files as you use them" setting did not work for me. So in addition to that, I tried disabling OneDrive altogether (Unlink PC/account and then remove the entire OneDrive folder) and then linking my account again which then again downloaded all files. The next Retrospect scheduled (proactive actually) run then succeeded with 0 errors or warnings ! This worked now on 2 machines already, so will try kids laptop next, but pretty confident this will work as well.

Thanks to the folks active in this thread !

• Like 2

Hi All, 

Just another quick update. 

We are still investigating these errors, most of which appear to be tied to One Drive, but it seems not necessarily always tied to One Drive. The results from the internal investigation indicates that the problem is a bug introduced by Microsoft. Just to give a simplified overview, when using VSS we aren't ever actually backing up your files, we backup Shadowcopies of your files. In the case where we run into problems, after we access the bundle of Shadowcopies that Microsoft is preparing for us (after using standard VSS calls), we encounter write access violations. So VSS prepares everything, gives us this blob of data, and then says we aren't allowed to access it. What's also strange is we aren't actually writing during the scan, we are just reading the data. We confirmed that this isn't just bad error mapping on our part, we are actually receiving write access violations. 

We are implementing some changes that will be a part of the next release (v15.1) which should allow the backups to continue beyond this error. This is currently scheduled for release later this week. We will continue to work with Microsoft to address the issue further, whether that means changes on our end, or a patch on their end. 

We really appreciate the feedback from this forum thread, as well as the all of the information submitted to us via web tickets. 

Thanks,

-jeff

• Thanks 1

Hi x509,

Unfortunately we don't release public patches for non-current versions. We can put together a test build for version 12 and distribute it via support webtickets. If you don't have a ticket already, please submit one. You can reference this thread/post and it will get to me. 

It might take a few days to generate the build, and again its more of a stopgap while we continue the investigation than it is a fix. 

Thanks for the heads up, Jeff.

Just as a sidenote: There is another backup program vendor that encounters exactly the same issues as Retrospect after the Windows spring 2018 update. Their solution is to turn of the OneDrive feature that causes all this.

So this would also indicate that it is more a Windows 10 issue than an Retrospect issue.

Hi All,

Earlier in the forum post I mentioned we may be able to create a test build for version 12 users that contains a workaround for this issue. Unfortunately the engineering team found that porting the changes back to version 12 was a non-trivial task. They have to focus on the latest release. 

I would instead suggest trialing version v15.1 to see if the changes help in your environment, www.retrospect.com/try and if they do, consider upgrading to the latest version. 

-Jeff

To add onto this discussion as I too am having same problems after April update, 

Having made the changes to One Drive (turning One Drive setting for On Demand OFF) the same error occurred.

On Changing Retrospect (Turning off Open File Access and disabling Instant Scan) the back up completed but with some errors, which were....

File "C:\Users\Trevor\NTUSER.DAT": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "C:\Users\Trevor\ntuser.dat.LOG1": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "C:\Users\Trevor\ntuser.dat.LOG2": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "C:\Users\Trevor\AppData\Local\Comms\UnistoreDB\store.jfm": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "C:\Users\Trevor\AppData\Local\Comms\UnistoreDB\store.vol": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "C:\Users\Trevor\AppData\Local\Comms\UnistoreDB\tmp.edb": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "C:\Users\Trevor\AppData\Local\Comms\UnistoreDB\USS.jtx": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "C:\Users\Trevor\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\CacheStorage\edb.log": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "C:\Users\Trevor\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\CacheStorage\edbtmp.log": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "C:\Users\Trevor\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "C:\Users\Trevor\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat.LOG1": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "C:\Users\Trevor\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat.LOG2": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "C:\Users\Trevor\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.LockApp_cw5n1h2txyewy\Settings\settings.dat": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "C:\Users\Trevor\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC\MicrosoftEdge\User\Default\DataStore\Data\nouser1\120712-0049\DBStore\spartan.edb": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "C:\Users\Trevor\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC\MicrosoftEdge\User\Default\DataStore\Data\nouser1\120712-0049\DBStore\spartan.jfm": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "C:\Users\Trevor\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC\MicrosoftEdge\User\Default\DataStore\Data\nouser1\120712-0049\DBStore\LogFiles\edb.log": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "C:\Users\Trevor\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC\MicrosoftEdge\User\Default\Recovery\Active\RecoveryStore.{FF9B4B84-AF46-48FB-8166-B4A3E64C4A36}.dat": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "C:\Users\Trevor\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC\Temp\~DF3CA83FFD19C2D3A8.TMP": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "C:\Users\Trevor\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AppData\User\Default\CacheStorage\CacheStorage.edb": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "C:\Users\Trevor\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AppData\User\Default\CacheStorage\CacheStorage.jfm": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

17/05/2018 19:53:09: Building Snapshot...

17/05/2018 19:53:11: Copying properties for 14,375 folders

17/05/2018 19:53:23: Finished copying properties for 14,375 folders and 0 files

17/05/2018 19:53:23: Copying Snapshot: 2 files (23.3 MB)

17/05/2018 19:53:24: Snapshot stored, 23.3 MB

17/05/2018 19:53:24: Comparing Trevor on Trev-PC-Win10

File "C:\Users\Trevor\OneDrive - Just Think IT\.849C9593-D756-4E56-8D6E-42412F2A707B": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

and 8 others

File "C:\Users\Trevor\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneDrive\logs\Business1\SyncEngine-2018-5-17.1815.8768.9.aodl": different data size (set: 59,090, vol: 60,127)

File "C:\Users\Trevor\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneDrive\logs\Personal\SyncEngine-2018-5-17.1814.6164.11.aodl": different data size (set: 67,210, vol: 68,247)

But at least I backed up the essentials!

Trevor

24 minutes ago, gbtrevor said:

On Changing Retrospect (Turning off Open File Access and disabling Instant Scan) the back up completed but with some errors, which were.

If you disable Open File Backup you will get the can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation) error because the files are in use by Windows. The two different data size errors in the compare will also be related because the file has been modified by Windows between the backup and the compare.

• Like 1

I have changed it back to Open file access ON (I had turned it off as that was a suggestion to get rid of the -1103 error), on turning it back on and running back-up the -1103 error returned

Oh well.... will turn off open file back up and endure the -1020 errors.

Seems to me MS is really screwing up with Windows 10 updates, I get loads of calls from my clients after Windows 10 updates, with all sorts of general problems.

One wonders if it is because we are now on the 2nd or 3rd generation of developers who just do not have the background/experience the 'oldies' had, and are making silly mistakes or are just trying to 'cut corners'!

On 5/10/2018 at 6:22 PM, hevanw said:

Excited to report that I got my Retrospect backups fixed now as well !!

So, disabling the "Save space and download files as you use them" setting did not work for me. So in addition to that, I tried disabling OneDrive altogether (Unlink PC/account and then remove the entire OneDrive folder) and then linking my account again which then again downloaded all files. The next Retrospect scheduled (proactive actually) run then succeeded with 0 errors or warnings ! This worked now on 2 machines already, so will try kids laptop next, but pretty confident this will work as well.

Thanks to the folks active in this thread !

Worked for me too! Thank you so much for this post! I was pulling my hair out. Good riddance to One Drive!! It will not be missed....

BTW: I am still using Retrospect 11.5 on Windows 10 as I object to having to pay a fortune every time there is an update, so offering an expensive update as a solution to every problem doesn't sit too well with me... just saying...

OK Downloaded and installed Retrospect v15.1, Client PC needed the process of  uninstalling v15 and then installing 15.1, hoping for end to errors, especially as this is now taking up way too much of my time.

Anyway, problems not fixed....

Test scans showed:

With Open File turned on and Instant Scan turned on – still got the -1103 write protected error.

With Open File turned Off and Instant Scan On – Got some -1020 Sharing Violation errors

With Open File turned Off and Instant Scan turned Off – Still got some -1020 Sharing Violation errors

One Drive left downloading all files (as from previous suggestion.

Attached is the portion of log file for users folder (where errors occur) for each above test.

OpenOff ScanOff.rtf

OpenOff ScanOn.rtf

OpenOn Scan On.rtf

22 hours ago, Ahari said:

BTW: I am still using Retrospect 11.5 on Windows 10 as I object to having to pay a fortune every time there is an update, so offering an expensive update as a solution to every problem doesn't sit too well with me... just saying...

Ahari,

All those engineers working on a fix for a newly created problem, those engineers need to be paid.  Retrospect doesn't stay in business with fresh air and rainbows.  They need revenue.  Either pay for upgrades.  How would you feel if upgrades were "free" because you had to pay a monthly subscription fee to Retrospect?  More and more companies are moving to the subscription model because future revenues are more consistent.

• Like 1

FWIW, upgrading to 15.1 did not solve the issue for me, but turning off files-on-demand in OneDrive did on all affected clients. All clients with OneDrive enabled had the OneDrive folder relocated to a non-C documents partition and it was during scanning of this partition that generated the 1103 errors. After seeing this thread I upgraded from 15.0.0.269 to 15.1.1.103 server and to 15.1.0.151 on my clients. However, I still got the 1103 errors on the document partitions of all clients that had OneDrive enabled. When I disabled files-on-demand on the clients the errors disappeared and the client partitions backed up fully. So, I am not convinced that the current 15.1 updates fully work around the problem in all situations.

One wonders if it is because we are now on the 2nd or 3rd generation of developers who just do not have the background/experience the 'oldies' had, and are making silly mistakes or are just trying to 'cut corners'!

I seem to recall reading a news story about how MS got rid of their Windows (and maybe others) QA teams. So now the dev teams do their own QA testing, which I think is a very bad engineering practice. 

X509

1 hour ago, dzeleznik said:

FWIW, upgrading to 15.1 did not solve the issue for me, but turning off files-on-demand in OneDrive did on all affected clients. All clients with OneDrive enabled had the OneDrive folder relocated to a non-C documents partition and it was during scanning of this partition that generated the 1103 errors. After seeing this thread I upgraded from 15.0.0.269 to 15.1.1.103 server and to 15.1.0.151 on my clients. However, I still got the 1103 errors on the document partitions of all clients that had OneDrive enabled. When I disabled files-on-demand on the clients the errors disappeared and the client partitions backed up fully. So, I am not convinced that the current 15.1 updates fully work around the problem in all situations.

Great example of why software QA is never “done.”  Retrospect needs to add in this issue to their next patch. 

I am also seeing this issue with iCloud on a PC. I run the Retrospect Server on a Macintosh (v15.1.1 (102) with client 15.1.0 (151) on my wife's PC and get -1103 errors on iCloud files (all photos but that's all that's in iCloud).

[*] stfiDoBackupOne: error -1103 (write protected) on C:\Users\Maggie\Pictures\iCloud Photos\.
[*] stfiDoBackupOne: error -1103 (write protected) on C:\Users\Maggie\Pictures\iCloud Photos\Downloads\.

Turning off open file backup ("Back up open files" as the option is, at least on the Macintosh version of the server console) gets rid of the -1103 errors but at the expense of -1020 sharing violation warnings, just as I believe was happening with OneDrive.

• 2 weeks later...