Duplicate / Scripts / Exclude Directory

jjevans

Hello All,

Here is my dilemma. I just want to duplicate my data on one PC with minimal effort. I cannot get Retrospect to exclude a directory?

Example

C:\Temp\One

C:\Temp\Two

C:\Temp\Three

D:\Temp\One

D:\Temp\Two

D:\Temp\Three

Duplicate One and Three on each partition? Exclude Two

I assume I have to run multiple scripts? Any way to run all of them at once?

I have tried everything I can think of?

Selecting -> Check Selector Mark Icon -> Un-Select each one each volume / directory -> Save Selector and Name and apply

More Choices -> Exclude -> C:\Temp\ -> Save As Name -> Apply

Files Chosen -> Un-Select each one each volume / directory

Does not matter what I do it will still duplicate directory \Two

I hope this makes sense…lol

Any insight is appreciated.

• Like 3

First, in Retrospect "Duplicate" & Backup are two different things, but the procedure is the same

Create a Selector; Configure > Selectors > New

Call it ExcludeTwo

In the Exclude Section click +

Click Name

Uncheck File > Does > End With or Contain (whichever is best suited) and enter "\temp\two"

Leave "Enclosed Folders" checked

OK

CLick the Blue Tick and point to your volume to see the effect

Once you are happy then :-

Go to Backup and select Duplicate or Backup

Select your your Source Volume(s)  EG; C & D

Select your destination - wherever

Click "Selecting" and choose your ExcludeTwo Selector

Preview to check that it works as expected

Set Your options

Off you go

Another approach that may be workable if the folders are static is to define the sources and destinations as a 'Subvolume...' in the 'Volumes Database' at Configure > Volumes.

This approach should also give a slight performance boost as only the required folders will be scanned instead of all the folders.

With Duplicate you can only select One Source Volume at a time, whereas with Backup you can select multiple, so yes you would need two scriptsf or two Volumes

You can build elaborate Selectors to handle files and folders within that Volume

Duplicate copies files in their native format to a target.

Backup gathers the data into a backup set, and must be restored

• 2 weeks later...

Selecting – Define Exclude?

Hello All,

I’m am pulling my hair out and I don’t know what I am doing wrong. I’m just running an immediate duplicate.

Example:

Temp has three folders: \One, \Two, \Three

All I want to do is exclude \Two.

Source = C:\Temp\

Destination = C:\Temp 2\

Selecting -> More Choices -> Define include ->Click Name or Path

Uncheck File > Does > End With or Contain (whichever is best suited) and enter "\temp 2\two"

Leave "Enclosed Folders" checked -> OK

I have tried Path or Name or Quotes and no Quotes, Contain or End With or Match. Match case is not checked.

Nothing I do will not make the \Two directory show up in the destination folder?

Any insight is appreciated.

Hi Scillionian thank you for the response, This is a test if I can get this to work on the test then I can make it work on my server. I just don't understand why it is so difficult to exclude a directory in a duplication? I would think I can just pick and choose which directory I want duplicated.

Try this for an experiment:

I have a scheduled Duplicate Script that runs at the end of each days activities that duplicates Retrospect's files to a defined Subvolume on my NAS using the Retrospect Files selector. This selector finds files in the Program Files, ProgramData and Users root folder trees. For my purposes of restoring Retrospect's current state only the files in ProgramData and Users are of interest so I've modified the script to exclude Program Files to see whether I can get an exclusion to work. After this modification only the selected files in the ProgramData and Users folder trees were duplicated.

Note: If you do try this experiment and you have Instant Scan enabled you may get the error 'File "C:\ProgramData\Retrospect\configs.xml": appears incomplete' in the log because the file has been changed since Instant Scan last updated its database.

The following screenshots show the configuration of the script:

The forum won't let me insert JPEG (or PNG which is the native Windows screenshot format) images so here are Dropbox links to the screenshots:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/92cst8cqbav8ja1/Screenshot%202015-09-01%2022.14.09.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/akd7vob8v02qp6m/Screenshot%202015-09-01%2022.16.25.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uz3i7mx3j9n1nk2/Screenshot%202015-09-01%2022.16.46.jpg?dl=0

Edited by Scillonian