Can Retrospect backup sources be scripted?

epsobolik

I need to archive quite a lot of folders from a server - not all of them, but a lot of them.  They are organized in multiple, nested folders:

FolderA

SubFolderA1

SubSubFolderA1a

SubSubFolderA1b

SubFolderA2

SubSubFolderA2a

SubSubFolderA2b

FolderB

SubFolderB1

SubSubFolderB1a

SubSubFolderB1b

SubFolderB2

SubSubFolderB2a

SubSubFolderB2b

There are many Folders, SubFolders, and SubSubFolders.  I want to backup some of the SubSubFolders to tape.  SubSubFolderA1a, SubSubFolderA2a, SubSubFolderB2a, etc.  I can write a script/program to generate the list of SubSubFolders fairly easily.  Going through the list of all of the folders and checking off the ones I want is 1) tedious, 2) time-consuming, and 3) error-prone.  Is there a way to run a Retrospect backup via script or program?

• Like 1

Is there a way to run a Retrospect backup via script or program?

Not that I know of.

How much data will be backed up if you simply backup FolderA and FolderB (in GB)?

How much data will be backed up if you only backup the subsub-folders (in GB)?

How much "extra" data is backed up (in GB)? (Subtract the values above.)

EDIT: What kind of tapes do you use? LTO4?

If there is sufficient cominality between the names of the folders that need to archived and those that don't it may be possible to use a custom selector. As a simple example if all the folders that needed to be archived all had 'archive' somewhere in their name but the others didn't then you could use a selector where the rule is to only backup folders that contain 'archive' in their name.

Thinking sideways and looking to the long term, if this is something that you will have to do on a regular basis would it be feasible to rearrange the folder structure such that all the folders that need to be archived are under the same root folder?

• 2 weeks later...

I agree ^

Also, in the selector you can specify to backup folders with the archive bit is set on the file/folder.. if you can write a script to find the names of folders, then you can equally make a script to set the archive bit on them?

i.e.

FolderA

SubFolderA1

SubSubFolderA1a (archive set)

SubSubFolderA1b

SubFolderA2

SubSubFolderA2a

SubSubFolderA2b

FolderB

SubFolderB1

SubSubFolderB1a (archive set)

SubSubFolderB1b