Proactive backups grooming during backup?

Recently I noticed in the logs that a few of my clients groomed some data during a proactive backup. I've never seen anything like it before. Is this a "new feature" or is something unusual? I do groom the media set during a weekly script. This is on a proactive backup script in multi-server 10.1.0.221 backing up a windows client to a multi-member disk media set with 'groom to keep this number of backups: 10' selected under Options.

The only thing I can think of is that at the time the groom took place the 2 member disk set was nearly full. The one that happened this morning requested I add a 3rd member after the groom completed (but during the client backup). It happened during two recent backups. I'm attaching the logs from the most recent in a txt file.

The other thing I have noticed since the update is that some of my proactive clients now go through copy and verify multiple times during the backup session. They only have one volume selected to back up. Some of the clients go through the entire backup with only one copy and verify. Is this also because the backup set was low on space? Thanks for any thoughts.

-Derek

Proactive grooming.txt

Recently I noticed in the logs that a few of my clients groomed some data during a proactive backup. I've never seen anything like it before. Is this a "new feature" or is something unusual?

It's been part of Retrospect grooming at least since the Windows 7.6 version.

Retrospect grooms first and then requests a new member (if needed).

It's been part of Retrospect grooming at least since the Windows 7.6 version.

Retrospect grooms first and then requests a new member (if needed).

Even though a groom is not scheduled?

This is the first occasion where I've had a multi-disk set and it's members were nearly full. In the past I was always using one very large volume that never approached full.