"Ghost" Files After Restore

Help!

I backed up my desktop machine's 60GB hard drive (G4/867, 1.2GB RAM, MacOS 10.3.3) using Retrospect 6.0.193 before recently selling the machine, and now want to restore some of the files I backed up to my new 1.33GHz PowerBook running MacOS 10.3.3. Problem is, after running the Restore function in Retrospect 6 (and being informed the Execution Was Completed Successfully), the size of the resulting folder on the PowerBook equals that of the files I'm trying to restore, but the folder is empty (i.e. even though the "Size" column in Columns View shows 33MB -- the exact size of the folder containing the files I need to restore, when I open the folder, it says there are 0 items, and no icons are visible). I've already rebuilt the directory thinking that this might have been the problem, but everything else is working fine and I'm still unable to restore the files.

I don't know if this matters, but I recently bought a Maxtor 250GB external "OneTouch" FireWire drive and was forced to install Retrospect Express as a result (I don't understand why Dantz can't provide a script to be able to use the "OneTouch" backup feature using Retrospect 6, but I guess that's for another forum). I haven't yet used Retrospect Express, but figured I'd see if I might be able to successfully restore the files using Express. No luck (it doesn't seem to be able to read the backup set created by Retrospect 6). I really need to restore these files, so I'd appreciate any pointers any of you might be able to give.

Thanks,

Mitchell

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Can you try restoring these files to another disk? If you open a terminal and look at the folder contents using the sudo ls command do any of the files show up?

It is possible that the User ID from your old machine is still attached to these files. Try this from a terminal on the folder in Question

chmod -R 775

Thanks

Nate

Archived