what are you supposed to do with "Client Updater"

On Macs, you don't do anything with it. I think Retrospect console and/or engine use it to update the client if it needs updating. The current client version is the same as the one in the original 9.0.0 release, so I've never seen such an update happen, so I'm not certain.

Retrospect does not automagically update clients for you. You initiate updates via the Sources tab in the console.

When you select one or more sources that are Retro. clients from the menu, and then click on Update, you get

a pulldown menu to Select the .rcu file to update this client. From that menu, you navigate into

/Library/Application Support/Retrospect/Client Updaters/* on your Retro. server (Engine) and select the appropriate

RCU file to update your client.

I have used this successfully, mostly, to update my clients (all four flavors) from the version that came with Retro. 8 to the

version that came with Retro. 9.

It is possible to update multiple clients simultaneously, as long as they can all take the same RCU [Retrospect Client Updater?] file.

So, you'll have to do Windows, Linux, Mac Pre-10.5.8 and Mac 10.5.8 and up in separate batches. I recommend doing only 5 or 6

at a time though, because sometimes the update gets horrkkked up and the client loses contact with the Retro. server. In those cases,

you may have to restart the Retro. client and/or the the client system.

The Client Installers are the latest versions (at the time of the Retrospect build) and are primarily for installing new clients [or if you don't feel

comfortable with the RCU update process -- for manually updating your clients].

The packaging was a little confusing to me, since Retrospect put everything you need for your server (Engine), console, clients and very little

documentation all in one big package.

Because the Retro. console does not remember my previous path of selected RCU file, and you have to reopen each branch of the path to get

to them every time, I copied my client updaters directory to a less-crowded and easily findable/traversable directory on a volume on my server, like /AA_RetroClientUpdaters which reduced my annoyance with the process significantly.

• Like 1

On mine (Retrospect 9.0.1, single-server, 20 clients) "Update" is grayed out. I put the updater where it should be.

Also "Backup On Demand" and "Restore On Demand" grayed out for all clients, even freshly installed clients who were never installed before. Any solution to this? Do I need a different license?

• 3 weeks later...

Because the Retro. console does not remember my previous path of selected RCU file, and you have to reopen each branch of the path to get

to them every time, I copied my client updaters directory to a less-crowded and easily findable/traversable directory on a volume on my server, like /AA_RetroClientUpdaters which reduced my annoyance with the process significantly.

Thanks for the info.

I also agreed its rather annoying :)