-1019 Not Enough Resources, After ~523,000 Files

Retrospect keeps giving this error for most files:

can't read, error -1019 ( not enough resources)

Windows Server 2003 R2 x64 (up-to-date software, drivers, & BIOS - as of July 15th, 2011)

4 Gigs RAM

Volume size: ~2.2 Terabytes, ~1.4 Terabytes in use.

Number of files: ~1.1 Million

Retrospect version: 7.7.562

On the old Dantz forum, someone from Retrospect said this on June 21st, 2010 regarding the limitations of the software:

4 Million files per source volume is the limit, not per backup set.

9999 sessions are supported.

Robin Mayoff

Senior Manager, Retrospect Tech Support

I thought it was a memory issue, and this link mentions how to modify the pool settings:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304101

That only applies to 32-bit Windows, as the PoolUsageMaximum and PagedPoolSize settings are different in x64 Windows (and already default to much higher).

Just to be sure, I changed them and rebooted, but it made NO difference.

All these files were backed up fine with the Linux client, but now on a Windows system the client is having trouble reading all the files. The server version (7.7) is the same. We no longer have the Linux server, so these files must remain on a Windows system.

How can we get the Retrospect client for Windows to back up the files? After copying around 523,000 files, it then gives the "not enough resources" error for the remaining ~620,000 files.

Edited by Xenomorph
  • Like 1

We had that problem a year or two ago. I wish I could remember what we did about it.

I think it wasn't about RAM, but some other resource on the backup server. Restarting the server did help a while.

I think we did split the backup set in two and that solved the problem.

I have the same exact problem on 64bit clients with big amounts of data to backup. The clients are Windows 2008 R2 systems and the data is more the 1TB. I called Retrospect support for this issue. They said to try disabling Antivirus, defrag the disk ect... and nothing helped.

How I worked around the problem is in the Retrospect client I temporarily excluded some of the larger folders to keep the total backup under 508GB. Once it backed up less then 508GB I un-excluded those large folders to still keep it from backing up less then 508GB at one time and backed up the disk again. Once it's finally done I remove all excluded folders and then backups run fine after that. It's a pain to do it that way but it works.

It's always been the backup size for me. It happens on two different servers with very big disks. One has a ton of smaller files on it and one has alot less bigger files. On both servers backups will die at right around 508GB of backed up data.

What kind of backup set do you have? Tape? Disk? ...

Do you backup both servers to the same backup set? How many files and how much data is there in the backup set? Or how much in each if they are not the same?

What kind of backup set do you have? Tape? Disk? Disk

Do you backup both servers to the same backup set? No

How many files and how much data is there in the backup set? One backup set has 894,909 files with 1.59GB used and the other has 1,324,800 files with 2.82GB used

For me this issue has nothing to do with the size of the target backup set or the number of files on it. It's how much DATA is being transfered from the client. If it goes above 508GB it fails, less than that and it works.

• 1 month later...

What kind of backup set do you have? Tape? Disk? Disk

Do you backup both servers to the same backup set? No

How many files and how much data is there in the backup set? One backup set has 894,909 files with 1.59GB used and the other has 1,324,800 files with 2.82GB used

For me this issue has nothing to do with the size of the target backup set or the number of files on it. It's how much DATA is being transfered from the client. If it goes above 508GB it fails, less than that and it works.

I'm having the same issue, and it's quitting at 499.9 GB. Both the backup source server and the backup server itself are systems less than 60 days old running 64-bit Windows 2008 R2. The registry change listed above had no effect (applied to both servers). The only Windows Event Viewer entry comes from the Retrospect server as follows (edited for formatting and applicability):

- System

- Provider [ Name] Retrospect

- EventID 1 [ Qualifiers] 49154

Level 2 Task 0

Keywords 0x80000000000000

- TimeCreated [ SystemTime] 2011-08-29T14:14:05.000000000Z

EventRecordID 814

Channel Application

- EventData

Trouble reading files, error -1019 ( not enough resources)

Going to try the suggested workaround of limiting backup scope to shed some weight on the initial backup (which has yet to succeed.) Just wish it didn't take 12 hours to fail, this is taking a really long time to troubleshoot.

Edit (24 hours later):

Reducing the backup size to 480GB via selectors did the trick. I'm just glad the initial data was only in the ~550GB range and not several TB, I have no idea what I'd do other than find some other (very very expensive) alternate solution.

Edited by radiumsoup

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Using Windows Single Server 8.5.0 (136), I back up 600K files onto an LTO5 tape (Win 2K12, Dell PE T420):

- 11/29/2013 11:53:31 PM: Copying DATAPART1 (D:)

11/30/2013 1:22:33 AM: Snapshot stored, 115.9 MB

11/30/2013 1:22:49 AM: Comparing DATAPART1 (D:)

11/30/2013 2:36:42 AM: Execution completed successfully

Completed: 607542 files, 510.7 GB

Performance: 6563.2 MB/minute (6089.3 copy, 7117.1 compare)

Duration: 02:43:11 (00:03:50 idle/loading/preparing)

Agreed, Mac Retrospect Clients don't have this problem.

Does anybody know if this was fixed in the new Windows V8.5 Client?