Erroneous Warning On "restore An Entire Volume"?

I'm testing Retrospect for Window's ability to recover from a complete hard drive failure.

Retrospect for Windows. 7.7.203 (As shown on the installation CD in the shrink-wrap package that contains the Emergency Recovery CD)

Hoping someone may provide what should be a simple answer.

Problem: After installing a brand new internal HD and preparing it for recovery, I run a "Restore files and folders from a point in time" off the Recovery CD. I complete the "advanced mode" specs for a "Restore entire volume" operation and click "Restore", and I get an appropriate warning dialog: "Really restore to InternalDrive (F:) completely replacing it with selected files?" I click OK. The Activity Monitor appears, then I get another dialog with what I believe is an erroneous warning:

"Warning: All data on the following volumes will be lost:

Drive Used Total

laCie01 (C:) ...

laCie02 (E:) ...

InternalDrive (F:) ..."

The C: and E: drives are partitions on the external HD. Drive E: contains the retrospect catalog and source for the restore.

Can anyone tell me whether it is safe to proceed?

*** Update March 25, 2011 -- Recovery fails ***

I made a full ("recycle") backup to another external drive that had nothing else on it. I then repeated the steps and got the same warning that all contents on both the internal and external drive would be deleted. I clicked OK and the recovery failed. The log showed:

MapError: Unknown Windos error 1,168

VssWBeginRestore: PreRestore failed: winerr -2147023728, error -1001

Edited by raoul

Do you think experienced forum users here will like your comment: "So far I'm unimpressed with both the software and the lame Roxio support."?

Actually that remark annoys me a bit because it feels like you are such an expert and wise person the software doesn't 'amuse' you and you deem it too inferior for your usage, so everybody else that uses it and is impressed by it is probably a moron. Of course you didn't say that literally, but it might feel like that for others... You might want to consider that when asking for help from users that stick around this (new) forum with the sole purpose to help others without being paid.

As for your question, I myself do not use Retrospect in that fashion (for that we use MS own Backup function, which is perfect for that) so I have no experience in that regard. But it might be a good suggestion to provide more details and maybe screenshots. Also do not forget to provide us with version numbers of your Retrospect software, optional (Retrospect) software (modules) and OS details.

Remember this is a user-to-user forum (even if users like Mayoff are Roxio employees). If you have a problem with Roxio's support you'll probably be better of directing that at Roxio. ;)

Edited by Ramon88

Do you think experienced forum users here will like your comment: "So far I'm unimpressed with both the software and the lame Roxio support."?

Sorry. Didn't mean to offend or annoy forum participants. I edited out the remark. (I thought I was clear about being dissatisfied with Roxio, but I guesss not.)

I'll share my experience and impressions of Roxio support in a separate message as this experience unfolds.

Edited by raoul

Fair enough. :)

B.t.w. most experienced forum users that I know from the old forum have not yet appeared here on this forum. I think it has to do with the fact that old forum is currently extremely slow. So they probably try to log in and do not get to see the 'we have moved' message because it takes forever to load. (@Mayoff, you guys might want to consider that and take action so we get the rest of the gang over here!)

I have recently successfully used the Emergency Recovery CD (7.7.341) with considerable success.

Your problem seems a little strange, however two things stand out.

1. You say you are using Restore Files & Folders, surely if you are going to overwrite the entire drive, using Restore Entire VOlume would be the better option. I also found that Advanced mode is better as you can check that the options to recover system state are enabled.

2. Your Error message is showing your LaCie Recovery drive as drive C:, and your Internal Drive as F:

My Guess is that you have booted the ER CD and used the Partitioning tools to setup the new disks, and are trying to proceed straight to the recovery. Retro is planning to restore your files to Drive F: and the System State Restore will go to Drive C: hence the warnings.

I found that it is necessary to reboot at this point so that the drive letters can be correctly allocated. Presuming that your System Drive backup was from Drive C, you need to Restore it to Drive C..

I made this error and when windows booted I got literally hundreds of errors in the Event Log. My guess was that during the System State restore all references were to F: drive (in your case), instead of C:

Bottom line is you need to work with your Storage systems, Raid Controllers, Bios etc until you get to the point that the drives shown By Retrospect in the ER CD system match the order and drive letters as they were at time of backup. I think then Retro will be happy to gracefully restore the backed up C: drive to the NEW C: drive.

See also my Separate Post Retrospect 7.7 Bare Metal Recovery Rocks!

HTH

Thanks for the information JoTraGo.

Note that I did select the "Restore entire colume" (for the "Restore files and folders from a point in time" task).

I did try a reboot, which made the interal drive C: again. However, when I created the partition, I did give it a more recognizable name than the original internal drive had. Perhaps this is the missing piece.

I'm currently evaluating another product, but if it doesn't pan out, I may try reconfiguring the new HD to exactly match the old HD.

= = = =

Final resolution: Never got this corrected, and got no support from Roxio. I've found another backup & recovery product that enabled me to do what I wanted without a hitch (as well as cover my other backup needs).

Thanks again.

Edited by raoul

• 1 year later...