Constant Preparing To Execute Message

Hello everyone,

I am trying to restor a backup off of an Uncle's external drive to get his files that were on his C Drive before his computer was stolen. Problem is that Retrospect does not want to proceed to restore the files. After selecting the files to restore (51GB) and selecting where to restore to (one of my drives w/ 800GB free space) it just hangs and shows Preparing to execute. I read in a post somewhere else to check the event viewer to see what else was said about why it would be stuck and there is an entry for Retrospect that says waiting for media.

I can access the drive where the backups are stored and I can access my M: drive. I have vista installed, the backups are from a windows xp machine. I have already tried restarting and starting the VSS and the other Microsoft service (can't remember off hand) but still no dice.

Thanks.

Edit:

Here is the event message:

The description for Event ID 3 from source Retrospect cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

Script Restore from Backup: waiting for media

The specified resource type cannot be found in the image file

Edited by Geowil

What happens when you run a verify on the backup set from the tools menu? What exactly is displayed inside the executing tab of the activity monitor?

Ok, when I try to verify the backup set it says it is missing. I browse to the folder where all of the rdb files are located but they do not show up in the browse window. It may be worth mentioning that these files were made in 2007, so it would have been an earlier version of retrospect (I am assuming its all backwards compatible though).

The activity monitor showed that the execution project was initiated and running, albeit waiting for the sets to be detected.

If I tell it to ignore the warning it continues, but nothing is restored.

Should I try moving the rdb files to a different drive?

UPDATE:

Ok, I think I managed to figure it out. The files did not show int he browser but I was able to type the rdb file name in and it came up in the list. I just have to repeat the process for each rdb file it asks for.

Edited by Geowil