Retrospect 7.5 not running after a reboot

taitcyrus

After a reboot of my WinXP Pro system, I see the Retrospect 7.5.324 icon in the system tray, but no backups run. When I select the Retrospect icon from the system tray and open Retrospect, the first thing Retrospect says is that there are scripts that need to be run, and then it starts running them (after a pause allowing me time to stop the auto run).

I see two Retrospect services:

- RetroLauncher (...retrorun.exe)

- Retrospect Helper (...rthlpsvc.exe)

but only RetroLauncher is running (both are set to auto start)

In Preferences->Execution->Startup the "Enable Retrospect Launcher service" is enabled as well as "Automatically launch Retrospect" is enabled. "Exit" is selected as well as "Show taskbar icon"

After a reboot my system should auto run the backup scripts without me needing to manually start Retrospect. What is mis-configured (because at one point I do believe that backups were auto running)?

Hi Tait,

How much time passed between when the scripts were supposed to run and when you launched Retrospect? I have seen scripts launch several minutes later than their scheduled time according to the system clock.

If Retrospect is simply failing to start automatically, there may be an issue with the launcher service. Try restarting this service, or if you want you can reinstall it. This can by done by disabling the option in Preferences to Enable Retrospect Launcher, okay out of prefs, and reboot the system. Then open Retrospect prefs, enable the service, and reboot again.

7 Days. I can see when there was a backup done on 9/8/2006 and then today (9/15/2006) when I started Retrospect manually and my system has been up and running 24/7 during that time. It has rebooted several times during that period, but it has been up and running. So a reboot restarts the Retrospect launcher service OK (no problems). Any other suggestions?

Tait,

If you reboot a system, it is not up and running. Therefore, if you've rebooted several times in the past week, you have not been up and running 24/7 for the past week. A reboot does not necessarily restart a service correctly if there is something wrong with the service. Since you haven't tried either of the things I've already suggested, I would suggest trying those.

OK. Via Retrospect I disabled "Enable Retrospect Launcher service" and in Services see that Retrospect Launcher was removed. I rebooted and via Retrospect selected to re-enable the launcher service and then rebooted (though this 2nd reboot is probably unnecessary since the service started OK). I'll see if the backups run tomorrow morning.

Note: I did previously look at the system event logs looking to see if the Retrospect service reported any errors and I didn't see any. All I saw were messages stating that the Retrospect Launcher service entered the running state.

Archived