SQL 2005 databases dont show up as volumes

rustyjones40

I have Retrospect 7.5 with latest updates. I am backing up Windows 32bit 2003 Servers with SQL 2003 on them. I just setup a Windows 2003 64bit server with SQL 2005 and cant see the SQL databases to select them. I can see the 2 hard drives on the server but not the SQL databases. I have 2 free SQL licenses and all the other SQL databases show up in the Volumes list on the other servers.

Hi Rusty -

What version of Retrospect?

What version of the client software?

What specifically do you see? Your post would seem to imply that you can see the SQL Server, but no databases. Is this correct or do you not see the SQL Server at all?

If this is a client machine and you can see the root SQL Server try going to Configure > Clients > Properties > Volumes. Do the databases show up here? If so, highlighting them should solve your problem.

If the SQL Server shows up but says "Not Licensed" you'll need to apply one of your licenses

What kind of authentication are you using to login the SQL Server?

I just tested with the following configuration

Server 2003 x64

SQL 2005

Retrospect 7.5.285

Retrospect Client 7.5.116

SQL login with Domain Authentication

** Note: This is not a domain controller. I used the machine name in place of the domain name.

I was able to see the SQL 2005 databases both locally and via the client software.

Thanks,

Amy

Same as you, Server 2003 x64

SQL 2005, Retrospect 7.5.285, Retrospect Client 7.5.116

SQL login with Domain Authentication

Its a member server, I see the server, I see the C: drive and the D: drive on that server and can back them up, but not the SQL databases. I never get the option to add the license because the SQL databse does not show up for me to select it. I can backup the server otherwise, it runs ok. But have no way to choose the SQL databases. The view looks like there is no SQL installed, like my other servers show since they dont have SQL installed. But I know the SQL is running and can access it from my backup server with the Enterprise manager.

Hi Rusty -

Try reinstalling the client as follows:

Uninstall the existing client

Reboot

Install the client software again while logged in as Administrator

- Was SQL installed after the client? If so, just a reboot may resolve the issue.

I talked to tech support and they were no help. I downloaded the new update that came out Thursday 8/31. They had me delete the c:\documents and settings\all users\retrospect folder. Re-enter my licenses and I still could not access the SQL2005 64bit. I also installed Retrospect on another server and can not see the SQL volumes. I also installed SQL2005 on another server and tried to access that server from both of the Retrospect servers and cant see it. The only thing I can conclude is 7.5 cant access a 64bit SQL even though it is supposed to.

When you go to configure volumes do you see the SQL container for that server?

I suspect this could happen if we are not recognizing the SQL due to some sort of permissions issue related to the Backup User Account in the preferences. What groups is the Backup User Account a member of?

Just to make sure, can the SQL Enterprise Manager backup tool access these databases?

This may be a case where we need to enable some debug logging to see if we can track down what is hiding the database from Retrospect.

I am having the same issue with SQL Server 2000 on Windows Server 2003 SP1.

I can see C: and E:, but no SQL container. I have 1 SQL license available. I can see an older Windows NT 4/SQL 6.5 server no problems.

Client : 7.5.116

Retrospect : 7.5.324

My domain RBU account is a member of the local backup operators group. I have deleted and readded the client with no success.

Thanks,

Nigel

I called tech support again and they told me they tested SQL 2005 inhouse without problems. They also had me install Retrospect Server on my SQL server so it will be a local backup, and still it cant see the SQL. Today I sent about a dozen screen shots as well as log files and .nfo files of my server for them to look at. They tell me they will send it to the engineers to look into it.

I just set up SQL 2005 on Windows 2003 x64 again, but this time joined the computer to a domain before installing SQL. Previously I was testing with a computer that was not part of any domain.

I installed a Default Instance then installed the Retrospect Client software. The SQL server was visible via the client to the Retrospect Backup Server. I then installed a Named Instance which was also visible to the Retrospect Backup Server.

If the Firewall issue is not the root cause then my best guess is that this is a permissions issue. Something is preventing Retrospect from discovering that an SQL Server is installed on that client. Is there anything special in your setup? I am only installing the SQL Server Database Services and Client Component > Management Tools in my testing.

The SQL2005 Server was a member of the domain when I installed it. I did not have the firewall service started. Today I setup another Windows 2003 64 bit server with SQL 2005 64bit with just the defaults, and cant see the SQL databases with Retrospect server installed on the SQL server itself. Retrospect support keeps telling me I installed SQL wrong and they tested it in house, but I cant see anyway to install it wrong. Retrospect support tells me that thier software uses the Microsoft API's to connect to the database. And If there could be a problem there. However they tell me if I can access the database VIA the Enterprise manager, then Retrospect should be able to see the SQL.

Okay, we have some egg on our faces. We did some added testing and we were able to reproduce this problem with 64bit SQL 2005.

32bit SQL 2005 running on a 64 Bit Windows system does work okay though.

Our engineers are investigating the issue and we hope to have a fix soon.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived