Windows XP Home/Retrospect V7.0

charliej5

I use Windows XP (Home) and Retrospect version 7.0.344 with update version 7.0.6.108.

For a very long time I have been making a weekly backup of my system with no errors reported. The last error free backup was on 7-16-2006.

After the weekly backup on 7-24-2006, I had 10 execution error, all stemming from "Can't use Open File Backup option for: Local Disk (C:), error - 1017 (insufficient permissions."

I have read many items on the knowledge base site and one directed me to open the Services Control Panel under Administrative Tools (start-run-mmc) and select Retrospect Launcher..etc. Website used to gather this information is: http://kb.dantz.com/al/12/1/6342.html.

When I open the Services Control Panel, there is absolutely nothing listed. All that is there is "Console Root" and reported to have no items in it.

From this, I think that the problem is not in Services Control Panel, but I am now stumped.

I shall appreciate and assistance that you great guys may offer.

Many thanks,

Charlie

Hi Charlie,

MMC will be blank by default. You can add a variety of snap-in tools by going to File>Add/Remove Snap-in...>Add...

The snap-in you would be looking for in this case is called simply "services." There are other ways to get to this, however. It can be found in the Administrative Tools section of the Control Panel, in computer management (Right-click on My Computer>Manage), or via Run>services.msc

However, the article you indicate does not give any information that would be useful to your particular situation. This appears to be an older article that does not take into account the ability of newer versions of Retrospect (7.0, 7.5) to backup open files on Windows XP systems by utilizing the Windows built-in Volume Shadowcopy Service (VSS).

In this case you would want to check VSS in services, restart it to make sure that it is responsive and possibly check the Windows event viewer to see if there are any errors being reported by VSS (you can check events in Computer Management, in the Event Viewer section). You will want to look in either the Application or System log, I forget at the moment where VSS errors are reported.

In any case the problem here is likely either:

A) VSS has become broken for some reason or other

B) VSS is being used by some other application when Retrospect attempts to make use of it

Take a look around and let us know what you come up with.

Foster,

Many thanks for attempting to assist me.

Following your suggestions, I took a look at the events and could find absolutely nothing referring to VSS there. I looked at services and it showed disabled. I set it to automatic, rebooted and rechecked it. It was set to automatic, but was not started. I did not start the service, but ran Retrospect to make a backup. I still received all the errors as previously reported, specifically 1017 - insufficient permissions.

I rebooted, went to services and started VSS. Next I made a backup and received the same errors. Here is the Retrospect log entries:

+ Retrospect version 7.0.344

Launched at 7/25/2006 8:24 PM

+ Retrospect Update, version 7.0.6.108

+ Executing Immediate Backup at 7/25/2006 8:26 PM

To Backup Set Backup Set G...

Can't use Open File Backup option for Local Disk (C:), error -1017 (insufficient permissions)

- 7/25/2006 8:26:12 PM: Copying Local Disk (C:)

File "C:\gobackio.bin": can't read, error -1017 (insufficient permissions)

File "C:\Documents and Settings\Charlie\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Defender\FileTracker\{B47E196B-5DD3-43FB-8186-A32862B5203F}": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcrst.dll": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "C:\RECYCLER\NPROTECT\NPROTECT.LOG": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

7/25/2006 8:34:44 PM: Execution stopped by operator

Remaining: 10083 files, 9.5 GB

Completed: 33568 files, 5.4 GB

Performance: 690.2 MB/minute

Duration: 00:08:31 (00:00:34 idle/loading/preparing)

Exit at 7/25/2006 8:35 PM

Have you any other thoughts that I may try?

If push comes to absolute shove, I can restore my hard drive, using either Retrospect file backup or Acronis True Image for my image backup. However, if possible, I would prefer not doing this.

Once again, many thanks.

Charlie

Archived