("Problem") erasing "Travan NS20" tapes.

jda11560

Hi all,

Been using Retrospect (since V6, now 7.5), backing up to HDD.

I have a Seagate (now Certance) SCSI Travan Hornet NS20 STT20000N, Firmware: 7A61 (Retrospect identifies Driver as: Seagate Travan DC (1.12).

I guess my main query is: "How long does it take Retrospect to decide there is no data on tape that it knows about, and release control of tape, so I can select the option I want in: Retrospect>>Devices>>Configure Devices.

It is obvious to me that Retrospect is busy reading the tape, it seems to read, rewind, forward, read, search etc.

However, it has had the tape for over an hour.

I have been able to select erase (CTRL+E) if I am quick, but by the time I select OK, the tape (drive) is busy again and Retrospect tells me it cannot erase, for that very reason.

Query #2). Is Retrospect Professional V7.5 programmed to read the complete tape, even though it has no record in the database of the name of the tape?

I do see a couple of messages, busy, running, (content unrecognized).

I have not backed up using tape before, not with Retrospect anyway, (did use the supplied "Windows 2000 Pro Backup" once, which I thought was a real crap program).

I have checked that I have the SCSI Devices configured correctly, (it is a recent configuration, sits on top my main system in its own little box, the Travan NS20 and a Seagate SCSI ST318418N 18GB HDD).

I did also run the Seagate TapeRx Utility, no problems, except for when I did'nt select Retension Tapes.

(Evidently this is a critical requirement for Travan Tapes).

I have a backup scheduled for 7PM tonight, 11hrs time, which I would like to complete, as long as Retrospect has finished reading this tape.

If anyone has an answer for me, I would be most grateful.

Regards and best wishes,

Jim

This is a "old school" tape drive. It is SLOW by design.

Travan is also very picky about the type of tape used in the drive.

TR5 (read/write), TR4 (read only)

Make sure you are using the right type of tape.

Content Unrecognized means Retrospect is having trouble reading the tape headers. If the erase fails, clean the heads and try again. Then try another tape.

Try a new tape, not a tape used by other backup software.

Thanks for info Mayoff.

I did try a new tape, read and accepted straight away, (but wanted to erase the (new tape) anyway)).

Then I got stubborn and (re)tried used tape.

[i did think 'Retrospect Pro' was reading every track, from end to end, looking for/to match data on tape to the database, before handing control back to me].

The Manual states it can accept, and I can use - (Content unrecognized) tapes.

I know the "Seagate Travan" is (by general standards) a "SSSLOW" Backup Drive, especially only having the 50pin SCSI connection. But I only have two (Home-based) systems to backup. After first (initial) backup of maybe 14GB total, followups would only be a few hundred (+200) MB's a week/fortnight.

One thing I do have, is time.

Any ideas on how I can use pre-used (by other software) tapes?

Do you know of a program (shareware/retail/free) that will reformat "Travan NS20 (TR-5)" tapes?

'twould be a shame if I could not re-use the used tapes I have, they were (4 x 10/20GB) only written to once, and not filled.

Regards,

Jim

Quote:

This is a "old school" tape drive. It is SLOW by design.

Travan is also very picky about the type of tape used in the drive.

TR5 (read/write), TR4 (read only)

Make sure you are using the right type of tape.

Content Unrecognized means Retrospect is having trouble reading the tape headers. If the erase fails, clean the heads and try again. Then try another tape.

Try a new tape, not a tape used by other backup software.

Problem solved, well the problem of Retrospect not liking previously used (by other programs) tapes.

Found a little command-line program on Sourceforge; "winmt.exe", only 44Kb in size. I have already used it, pretty simple to use if I could.

The only thing might stump you a bit is 'devicename'., this should be "tape0", "tape1" etc, (without the exclamation/commas though.

Only commands I used so far is: status, retension, rew, srterase.

I issued command "winmt -f tape0 srterase", then allowed Retrospect access to tape, come up almost straight away; Status: Erased

If using "Travan Tapes", be careful about 'bulk erase', (this does not quite mean as implied), what happens is all data/format/info/tracks are wiped off tape, rendering tape useless.

Download from:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/winmt

Now if I can only get the Tapedrive (Seagate Travan Hornet STT20000N SCSI) to successfully write all required data to tape, I'll be happy.

Regards,

Jim

Archived