Media Request Time out not working!?!?!?

Hey,

were running version 7.5.251 and having some problems with the "Media Request time out" not working like it should.

I have set it to time out after 15 minutes in:

Configure --> Preferences --> Media --> Request

What happens is if we forget to change the removable HDDs to the new disk for the next nightly backup it just sits there waiting for media and doesnt time out untill you go into retrospect and cancel the job...we have had it already miss a 2nd night because the origional job wasnt cleared!

is there anything im missing? or is this not what the media timeout function does??? should'nt it tiem out and clear the job after the 15mins without having to logon to the server and clear the job?

thanks

- Luke!

• 3 weeks later...

Quote:

Hi,

If you're running a proactive backup this option will have no effect.

For regular backup and duplicate scripts, yes, the script should fail after 15 minutes.

well we dont have proactive backup, and it doesnt seem to cancle untill we log onto the server and manually stop it!

Hi Luke,

I think I understand what's happening - the original backup was running normally, then Retrospect prompted for a new piece of media because it ran out of space on the existing disk. In this scenario Media Request Timeout does not stop the running execution. I tested this out and got the same results you are seeing.

Media Request Timeout will cancel an execution after a period of time if the backup media is not present at the time the script is started. I looked over the preference and in the manual, and I see this is not clearly stated anywhere. I'll be sure to forward this info.

Quote:

Hi Luke,

I think I understand what's happening - the original backup was running normally, then Retrospect prompted for a new piece of media because it ran out of space on the existing disk. In this scenario Media Request Timeout does not stop the running execution. I tested this out and got the same results you are seeing.

Media Request Timeout will cancel an execution after a period of time if the backup media is not present at the time the script is started. I looked over the preference and in the manual, and I see this is not clearly stated anywhere. I'll be sure to forward this info.

The backup has plenty of free space (100GB+), it seems that it doesnt cancel untill we log onto the server!

Archived