1017 insufficient permissions errors!

Uroboros

Been using Retrospect 7 on my WinXP SP2 system for a while now without issue. But for some reason this week I've started to get "1017 insufficient permissions" errors when I perform my bi-weekly back-ups. This never happen until this past week but I can't figure out what might have changed in my system (or what change I might have made) to suddenly cause this.

I haven't changed anything with the account on the system itself. There is no password required to log on into the account. I do did read something in knowledge base about System Restore as a possible cause (though I forget this is refers to version 7 of Retrospect); but System Restore has been ON long before this started to happen

Any ideas?

TIA

Ok...I now know one thing that duid change in my system before I started getting this error. On November 19th I installed .NET Framework version 2.0 from the Windows Update site.

Don't know if that has anything to do with the error that now appears; but it's the only change I can see between the last error free back-up and when the errors started.

Now I had turned off some uneeded WinXP services in the past; but this did not effect Retrospect at the time.

I don't know as I did not have to do that. I looked at the Event Viewer and noticed some issues with WinXP services. I had changed some of them as I had mentioned before based on information on the web. Didn't cause any problem at the time until .net framework 2.0 was installed. I just changed some services back to what the default value under WinXP Pro (in my case) is.

Now I don't why this should be the case. I don't know if anyone having a similar has messed around with there services in the past. But my suggestion would be to check the Event Viewer and check for any issues that appear around the time Retrospect is run.

In my case one of the problems that showed up right before the Retrospect errors that show up was an issue with the Volume Shadow Copy Service. I had turned it off.

I also had a DCOM error regarding the WinXP firewall. I don't use the WinXP built firewall but this came up.

So if you've turned off some services in the past that did not cause any problem..this might be one cause of this 1017 issue.

Same problem here - I was just searching the forum for an answer and saw your post. Except in my case I hadn't installed .NET 2.0, (still on 1.1). It appears to started after an install of Nero 7.0.

Now every time I do a backup with Open Files option on my C: drive (i.e. not networked) I get an error in the event log saying:

"Volume Shadow Copy Service error: An internal inconsistency was detected in trying to contact shadow copy service writers. Please check to see that the Event Service and Volume Shadow Copy Service are operating properly."

My volume shadow copy service is running - but I don't see an Event Service - there is an Event Log service but it can't be stopped. I don't see anything strange in the event logs on system boot either. I have the latest Retrospect patch and updates.

I'll try removing Nero - it was only a demo anyway.

I've also started digging around on the Microsoft knowledge base - there seem to be a number of posts about VSS problems. Perhaps there is a way to remove this "inconsistency" if that is what the real error is about.

Okay - I did some more digging around searching for the text from the event log error and found a post refering to Retrospect 6.5. It had four pages of replies but right near the bottom was one that said:

The simplest way to solve the problem of shadow copy service - without reinstalling WindowsXP - is to tun this line command:

regsvr32 ole32.dll

After having run this command, stop the service (if necessary) and the run it again. That's enough to repair the registry errors.

Have a good luck!

Gianantonio

I tried it and it worked! Apparently it re-registers the OLE (object linked and embedded) DLL... I've no idea why that fixes the problem, but it did.

I hope it works for you.

Archived