"Recycling" a "Normal" Backup-Set?

jyunte

I'm using Retrospect Pro 6.5.

I have a script ("WeeklyIncremental") that performs a Normal backup to a backup-set on an external FireWire drive. Every time the script is run, it adds data to the backup-set, as expected.

I have a second script ("IncrementalRestart") that does a Recycle backup to the same backup-set as the first script.

My understanding is that the second script (IncrementalRestart) should Recycle the backup-set, causing the data in the backup-set to be deleted, and a fresh, new full Recycle backup-set started. Instead, what happens, is that this new Recycle backup simply adds more data to the existing backup-set, effectively performing another Normal backup!.

What I'm trying to achieve is this:

1) Every Monday, do an incremental backup of my C: drive.

2) On the first Monday of each month, wipe that incremental backup entirely, and do a fresh, full backup of my C: drive.

This would allow me to keep a month's worth of incremental backups before a fresh "copy" of the C: drive is created.

Why does it not work as expexted? Why is the Recycle backup script not recycling the backup-set, but (in effect) just adding another snapshot? Is it because the backup-set *itself* is designated as a Normal backup-set? If that's the case, is there a way to change it in my IncrementalRestart script to a Recycle backup-set, just for the duration of that script? In the Retrospect Configuration menu there is an option for changing the media type (to Normal/Recycle), but that is a semi-permanent, manual operation. I thought specifying the backup type in the script would have the same effect?

Suggestions?

Hi

You can do all of this in one script.

I would:

-delete the recycle script

-Modify the Weekly Incremental script

-Click on schedule-> add->day of week

-Select weeks 4 and recycle backup.

-The time should be the same as your normal backups. The recycle will take priority when they are scheduled together.

Thanks

Nate

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, that was good advice and cleans up the scripts quite nicely. I made the change you suggested and, since I'd been out of town for a week and had missed the scheduled "Normal" backup, Retrospect did in fact do a "Recycle" (deleting the files in the Incremental C-Drive folder)! Very cool.

Being the pessimist I am, I'll wait until the next time that script is run before I say it was a complete success! smile.gif

Thanks again.

P.S. I'm still at a loss as to why my original 2-script solution didn't work. Why didn't the 2nd script recycle the backup set?

Archived