version 7 Disaster Recovery?

Hello!

I noticed that when I format partition and then do disaster recovery, then

windows folder was created with temporary name, but "program files" and

user account folders and "all users" folder names created as usual. But is this safe?

When I restore, then my account names (and folder names) are the same and

copyed into those same folders. But in those folders may exist open and locked by windows

files. How Retrospect can then overwrite those files. I know that while restore backup

software cant overwrite files in use by windows.

Must I do some hack and rename those temporary forders names to some other name?

Thanks!

Ivar.

Hi

Like many update programs, Retrospect can shcedule files to be replaced on the next reboot. That way it doesn't have to overwrite files while they are in use.

Are you saying that after Disaster Recovery the temporary directory is still on disk?

Thanks

nate

Quote:

Like many update programs, Retrospect can shcedule files to be replaced on the next reboot. That way it doesn't have to overwrite files while they are in use.

Really?? I am surprised. I was known that no any backup software cant do that.

All enterprise-backup software manuals say that if files are in use by windows, then they

arent overwrited, for reason do not distroy windows session. Dont remember, maybe Retrospect manual......Usually only whyle backup open files can be processed.

Imaginate what happening if there arent not only some files, but all complete partition

contains wrong files, some other OS, then all files must be overwritted.

Does Retrospect really can do that? Maybe I am badly informed about that aspect?

Quote:

Are you saying that after Disaster Recovery the temporary directory is still on disk?

No, but there are only one temporary directory - DNWINNT.TMP or something.

If I rename user accounts (also "all users" account through registry) and program files folder,

then of course Retrospect doesnt informed abut that. I was done this for security, but maybe

this is unneeded.

Hi

Yes, Retrospect can do that. Keep in mind that with disaster recovery Windows is installed into a temp folder. as a result no system files need to be overwtitten.

DNWINNT.TMP is the temporary directory. After the restore is done you can delte it if you like.

Thanks

nate

Quote:

Yes, Retrospect can do that. Keep in mind that with disaster recovery Windows is installed into a temp folder. as a result no system files need to be overwtitten.

But system files reside also in Documents and Settings folder and open files can reside

also in Program Files folder (not only system files can be opened). But both folders arent

temporary.

...Also, I was thinking a little and find out that while next boot process overwriting in-use files

isnt possible anyway. Before backup-software can restore in-use open-files, system must load

required hardware drivers, required software-raid drivers etc. But in that moment those

previously in-use open-files become again open and backup-software cant overwrite them again. Keep in mind that open-in-use-files can be system files and system files can also be any 3rd party software, not only associated with operating-system.

Quote:

Hi

Trust me - it works.

We have been doing this a long time and invested a huge amount of time and money making it possible. I suggest using the trial version to see for yourself.

Of course I trust Retrospect, I have also used it many years and never get problems,

its backup technology is more perfect than in Veritas NetBackup that I was also used many years. But I simple talk about principle, and programs can always be even more perfect.

Archived