zero files found on Backup AND Browse

Recently upgrade to Desktop 5.0.205 from 4.3 (updated clients to 5.0.201 as well). Host computer is running Mac OS 10.1.4. Client in question is running Mac OS 9.2.1.

Both Immediate and Scripted Backup fail to find files on the second volume of one of my clients. Have tried, per manual pg 204, selecting client container rather than volumes. Have tried different client configurations of client as Client Desktop, and as Selected Volumes. Tried Backup of *only* that volume. THEN I tried just browsing the volume, from Configure > Volumes > Browse.

Always zero files found on this one volume. Even when I mount the volume on the host, and try to Backup or Browse it that way, still zero files.

--Volume is not named with "•" to activate Private (and Private Files/Folders/Volumes is not enabled anyway).

--When I run via script, client reports "Execution completed successfully" for each volume. (Even though the one volume has found no files.)

--Both volumes are fomatted the same, as Mac Extended.

--Get Info shows volume as having never been backed up.

--No illegal characters are in the Volume name (alphanumeric and hyphen only).

Has anyone else experienced this and know of a fix, or of something else to try?

Thanks!

No change, regardless of client version. Installed Client 5.0.198 directly from 5.0 installer (the updater produces a 5.0.201 client), then replaced with the 4.3 client. Also confirmed problem persists when running Retrospect Backup 5.0 on OS 9.2 (I had only tried OS X before).

I don't suspect the client, because the boot volume of this computer backs up just fine, and because of the following point (which might be a clue): the volume shows no files even when I [Configure > Volumes >] Browse it as a volume mounted on the host computer (which bypasses the Client function totally).

Thanks very much for your replies, Irena.

--Lee

Went back to test Configure > Volumes > Browse the volume [shared by a client computer and mounted on the computer running Retrospect Backup 5] under OS 9.2.2, and got something slightly different than when running under OS X (which just shows zero files found).

Under OS 9.2, I GET AN ERROR MSG: "Error: Scanning Incomplete, error -120 (folder not found)."

Then in the browse window, the top level of folders appear, with nothing in them.

To check for desktop file corruption, I rebooted the client machine and rebuilt the desktops of both volumes. No change.

Ideas/suggestions, Irena? Anyone?

Thanks,

--Lee

In reply to:

I don't suspect the client, because the boot volume of this computer backs up just fine, and because of the following point (which might be a clue): the volume shows no files even when I [Configure > Volumes >] Browse it as a volume mounted on the host computer (which bypasses the Client function totally).

If you're doing that in OS X you won't see any files when you browse a mounted AFP volume unless you configure Retrospect to mount it correctly for you (see numerous discussions on that issue here, and I'm sure that Dantz has a Knowledge Base article about it too online).

Have you booted with an OS 9 system CD and run Disk First Aid?

Have you tried with Retrospect 4.3?

Dave

Thanks for the hint Dave! I found the OS X issue you described, and the workaround steps. Even though the Client software *should* work, at least I'm getting the troublesome volume backed up now by mounting it from within Retrospect. To save others the search, here's the essence of the solution, (clipped from another post; don't recall whose):

---------------------

AFP (Apple File Protocol) servers do work, but only with proper configuration and with some limitations.

Here's the problem; when you mount an AFP server volume from the Aqua Finder, the Mac OS comes to an understanding that you (the current Aqua user) is authorized to access the files on that volume (since you provided the correct login/password).

But Retrospect is not running as the current Aqua user; Retrospect is running as root (necessary to have access to all the files on your system). When Retrospect attempts to access files on this mounted volume, the Mac OS says sorry, you don't have the right.

But there is a way. If you have Retrospect login the volume, everything works. Here's how:

- Mount the AFP volume with your login/password

- In Retrospect's Configure->Volumes tab, select the mounted volume and choose "Configure..." from the Volumes menu (or press Command+J)

- Enter the password for this volume

- Choose "Put Away" from the Volume menu (or unmount the volume from the Finder)

- Now select the grey icon of the volume and click either the Subvolume or Browse button

Retrospect will then mount the volume, and you can create a File Type backup set in any directory for which you have write access. If you use scripts, Retrospect will auto-mount the volume for the script, and dismount it when done. Security can be maintained by using Retrospect's "always authenticate" feature.

Note that if Retrospect mounts the server you won't be able to view it from the Finder! Same reason as before; the Mac OS isn't going to give access to an AFP volume to another user then the one who mounted it.

---------------------

Good luck all... and let me know if anyone discovers how to get Client to work.

--Lee

Archived