"Add Snapshot" button under Restore does not exist

Hi all,

I wanted to look through the various backups I have made to my backup set. I click Restore, Selected Files or Entire Volume, and see my backup sets at the top of the window and the most recent snapshot at the bottom. However, there is no Add Snapshot button.

I have searched this forum and found other posts on this problem. The suggested solutions I have seen are to rebuild the catalog file (I did this, it did not help) and to go through Configure, Backup Sets, Properties, Sessions... but this latter method does not allow me to make a complete restore, only the newest files added in each backup (belonging to the snapshot in question) are shown.

How can I choose between various snapshots to make a complete backup of all files up to that backup date? Which is what I suppose the Add Snapshot option does?

I can add that for some reason or other, Windows has changed the drive letter of my Maxtor external hard disk that I use for backups, does this matter? Like I said, I rebuilt the catalog file, I thought this would solve the drive letter problem, since this would tell Retrospect which files were actually in the backup set regardless of which drive letter they were originally backed up to, but apparantly not.

All help appreciated!

Regards,

Dennis Nielsen

Hi

Open up configure->backup sets and then double click on the backup set in question. On the snapshots tab you should have an add snapshot button available. If that button is not available it means there are no other snapshots available in the backup set.

Thanks

Nate

Hi Nate

Thanks for your feedback. There is an "Add..." button, and when I click that I get a list of snapshots (folder icons with a red dot in them). If I choose one and click "Retrieve", nothing seems to happen. I have tried going back to Restore -> Selected Files, but it is still the latest snapshot that is shown here, not the one selected through Configure -> Backup sets.

Regards,

Dennis Nielsen

I already tried a catalog rebuild, that didn't help.

However, I tried moving the catalog file from the external Maxtor hard disk to my internal hard disk, and this time when I selected a previous snapshot through Configure -> Backup Sets, it did appear in the list of snapshots in Restore -> Selected Files. In other words, it seems to have helped.

But is this the way it is supposed to work? It would be simpler if I could get the Add Snapshot button to appear in the Restore -> Selected Files window, the way the manual says it should. Is this an error in the manual, or is there still a way to get the button to appear?

On another note: does it make any difference if I choose File or Disk as type for my backup set? It seems that if I choose File, the backup set is one big file, and if I choose Disk, it is many smaller files of 600MB. Is there any other difference than this, do you know?

Regards,

Dennis Nielsen

Hi Nate,

I am using disk backup sets - the type with many small files.

I understand that I need to use the metod of restoring previous snapshots via Configure -> Backup sets. Thanks for sorting this out for me.

Regards,

Dennis

Archived