Exchange Server - Backup Set error message

Hi,

I have some problem with backup Exchange Server. I made my script to backup 'First Storage group' and all user's exchange mailboxes. Recently, my script stop working and give message of 'waiting for backup set E', name of my backup set. If I do immediate backup, it will say 'First Storage Group' is in used by another operation', so the script keep waiting and never run. Even if I don't select 'First Storage Group', skip it and just select user's mailboxes, it will give message of the user's mailbox is in used by another operation too.

I don't know what to do next. Any help would greatly appreciate.

Thanks in advance.

Nhi.

Hi Nate,

Thank you so much for the reply. I'm using Retrospect 7.0. Even if I close and relaunch Retrospect, the same problem still occur.

Is there any possibility that could cause this problem?

For Mon and Wed, I change to one disk, Tue and Thurs, i use another disk and Friday is using another one. And for each Mon-Wed, Tue and Thurs, Friday, I create different backup set for them. Is that ok?

Normally, after I created a script, I use 'validation script' to check, it would say 'the script appear to be valid' but when I click button 'check media' it will say 'media is not available' eventhough the drive is plug in.

Any help from you would greatly appreciate. Thank you so much in advance.

Nhi.

Hi Nate,

One extra note on the previous message I sent earlier. I'm using Retrospect 7.0.265 with small Bsuiness Server Standard and Single Server Disk-to-Disk. I use SBS Standard for the Exchange server, and Disk-to-Disk license for duplicate other directories.

I look into the update, I don't see the update for my version. Only Retrospect Update 7.0.6.108, Retrospect 7.0.326 Installer, 7.0.107 Client Installer. Should I download and install those?

Thanks so much in advance for your help.

Nhi.

Hi

Do you mean you have two versions of Retrospect installed on the same machine? Please clarify this point.

Also, make sure you are not running two backups at once - i.e. one local backup and one backup via the client. That could cause problems.

Swapping disks is not a problem as long as your scripts are set up properly for the media rotation. Since you are getting media request messages it sounds like the scripts are not set up properly.

Thanks

Nate

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. I have three servers. The server running Exchange server, i installed Retrospect SBS, the other two for duplicate normal folders I installed Disk-to-Disk version.

I only use backup script for backup Exchange server, and set it run once a day. So, there are not two backup running at once. The rest of my scripts are duplicate scripts and they run at different times, different from the backup script too.

I created script using wizard (normal not advance mode). Currently, there are three backup sets, one for Mon-Wed, one for Tue-Thurs, and Friday. And each backup set will append data to one disk.

Again, thank you for your help.

Nhi.

Hi

So on your exchange server backup the backup stops because it is waiting for backup set E, correct?

You say you have 3 backup sets but since E is the 5th letter in the alphabet I suspect you actually have 5 backup sets. Double check the preview window of the activity monitor and make sure the backup sets are working like you expect them to. Also look at the names of the backup sets stored on each disk to make sure they are correct.

Thanks

Nate

Archived