Virtual drive ? and some other things

barjo

Hi all.

I'm trying the demo version of Retrospect (6.5.350), and I m facing a problem.

I can't select in the client's preferences virtual drives, which are linked to an encrypted file (ex : PGP disk, or, here Xelios disk).

Is there any abilitie to see it as a physical drive?

other question, other problem, I still don't have a DVD-rewriter (but soon...), and I'd like to know if it is possible to burn nothing but the incremental backup ( for example, rather than burning the all backup every times, just burn once the complete backup, and then just the incremental)?

Last question, is it possible to name the backup with the date? for example : bkp-06-05-05 ?

Thanks, hope I was clear enough

Hi

Chances are you will not be able to see the virtual drives. You will probably have to share them via windows filesharing and access them that way.

A "normal backup" in Retrospect adds only new and changed files to your backup. The first time around everything gets backed up. After that you will get the incremental backups you are looking for.

The beauty of Retrospect is that you don't need to put dates on each backup. That all happens automatically for each snapshot within the backup set. To see what I mean, run a few normal backups to a backup set. Then look in the properties->snapshots for that backup set. You will be able to add old snapshots by date.

Thanks

Nate

Quote:

Hi

Chances are you will not be able to see the virtual drives. You will probably have to share them via windows filesharing and access them that way.

uh?

Lol, what is in the encrypted file is confidential...I'm sure my boss will like if I ask him to share the accountancy crazy.gif

[edit] I've just tried to share the drive, not working frown.gif

Quote:

A "normal backup" in Retrospect adds only new and changed files to your backup. The first time around everything gets backed up. After that you will get the incremental backups you are looking for.

The beauty of Retrospect is that you don't need to put dates on each backup. That all happens automatically for each snapshot within the backup set. To see what I mean, run a few normal backups to a backup set. Then look in the properties->snapshots for that backup set. You will be able to add old snapshots by date.

Well, I know the theory of incremental backup, but in fact, we'd like to first save the whole thing onto the server, then backup the server on DVD, the idea is to save time in burning only the changes (every two months, the complete backup, and every weeks, the incrementals)

Unless to burn the little files manually, is this possible?

Hi

Do these virtual drives exist as files on another drive in the machine? If that is the case you will be able to back up the disk images like a normal file. You won't however to treat the virtual disk like a normal disk for backup. Hope that makes sense.

Quote:

Well, I know the theory of incremental backup, but in fact, we'd like to first save the whole thing onto the server, then backup the server on DVD, the idea is to save time in burning only the changes (every two months, the complete backup, and every weeks, the incrementals)

Unless to burn the little files manually, is this possible?

So you are going to backup everything to the server. Then you are going to back up the entire server to DVD. right? After that you wan't to do incremental backups of the server to DVD. right? This is the default behavior for Retrospect with "normal" backups.

Unless I'm misunderstanding you somehow...

Thanks

Nate

Quote:

Hi

So you are going to backup everything to the server. Then you are going to back up the entire server to DVD. right? After that you wan't to do incremental backups of the server to DVD. right? This is the default behavior for Retrospect with "normal" backups.

Unless I'm misunderstanding you somehow...

Thanks

Nate

That is it smile.gif

cool.

About my virtual drive problem, I think I'll try to call the tech support, even if I 'm not a customer yet...

The fact is : I can't share this virtual drive(software protection), and, if you look at the file, it is always 2 Go weight, even if the virtual disk is empty. I think my english is not good enough to explain the whole thing, so I'll call 'hem

Thanks a lot

Archived