SQL Agent backup a cluster?

trimble

I have Retrospect 7.0 Multi Server for Windows running at our facility.

Some of the "clients" I'd like to backup are SQL databases on a cluster of 2 machines running Microsoft SQLServer 2000 (SP3).

If I point Retrospect at the server process on either of the machines in the cluster, it fails with elem.cpp-1000 assertion upon execution.

If I point Retrospect at each individual DB on one or the other of the clustered machines, I get backups of the DBS that are currently being served by _that_ machine, but not the DBs being served by the opther cluster element.

If I point Retrospect at each individual DB on both machines in the cluster, I get all DBs backed up, but I also get one error (-1004) recorded for each DB on the machine it's _not_ being served by at the time.

...I think...

My SQLServer familiarity is limited, so I likely screwed up the terminology somewhat. But, I wonder if there's a way to point Retrospect at the _cluster_ as a whole instead of at one or more of the machines and solve my problems...

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Todd

"does not currently support clusters" ... as in it _will_ eventually?

Is this scheduled, or just not officially denied?

This seems like an important step toward becoming an enterprise backup solution rather than just a small-business/personal solution. As my company matures, I had hoped we weren't outgrowing Retrospect...

Thanks!

Todd

Hi

Retrospect is really designed for small and medium business. Enterprise level backups are best handled by an enterprise solution like Legato.

At the moment clusters are beyond the scope of what Retrospect is designed to do. That may change sometime as the use of clusters becomes more commonplace in smaller business environments.

Thanks

Nate

• 1 month later...

Archived